Texas Monthly list top 50 in Texas

"In Kansas City they tout paltry slices of gray beef covered in sweet ketchup; the whole thing resembles cold cuts more than barbecue, which is why their arguments generally center on sauce rather than meat".

Them there fightin words!

A couple of weeks ago I went through Lockhart and ate lunch at Blacks. I bought brisket at Kreuz and sausage and ribs at Smitty's. Blacks and Kreuz were way better in my opinion, although I couldn't rate one over the other.

I've also had brisket from Pecan Lodge and it was certainly delicious.

Cousins is okay, but not consistent.

Actually, that list is already out of date - almost before it was published one place (can't remember name) out in west Texas went out of business. Since the list they published 5 years ago I have been slowly making a Q pilgrimage about Texas to sample the state offerings. Franklin's deserves the #1 nod (echoed by Bon Appetit magazine and Anthony Bourdain) - I haven't tried Pecan Lodge yet. But places rise and fall - good Q is good Q but recommendations are somewhat faddish. I also follow the BBQ Posse with the Dallas Morning News - a group of guys who periodically take a weekend trip to sample 3-4 places back to back. My favorite ribs have for years been at Country Tavern in Kilgore TX and they made the Texas Monthly list way back but get nary a mention nowadays - at least I still like 'em (when I don't feel like cooking).

Back