THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Say that 3 times fast...

Its time for another throwdown, and Tri Tip is on the menu. I've been craving some good tacos so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Players for the main event- a 3lb prime tri tip, limes, cilantro, Jalapeno and Serrano peppers, garlic, and my good friend Jose Cuervo.

First to prep the marinade

Rough chop on peppers, garlic, and cilantro

Juiced a few limes (6 I think)

Put it all together with some salt and black pepper and hit it with my immersion blender

I don't usually liquify my marinades, but I wanted to make sure I got good penetration so I injected some

Put Mr Tri Tip in a bag with the remaining marinade for a 3 hour nap

While that's getting happy, I decided to make some fire roasted salsas.. I made Salsa Verde and Salsa Roja

First I roasted some peppers, tomatoes, and tomatillos

For the Verde, I skinned the tomatillos and peppers, added garlic, onion, cilantro, salt, and the juice of a lime. Put it all through the food processor and...

For the Roja, I started with a dried Ancho, Puya, and Guajillo chilis.

Toasted them, added some cumin and coriander, toasted a little more, added a cup of water and simmered for 20 minutes. Then Purified the spice mixture. Added tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime, and the last roasted jalapeno. Ran it through the food processor and Bam!

Now the tri tip is ready to get rubbed. Took it out of its bath, patted dry, and rubbed with a generous dose of Salt Lick rub. Got this rub compliments of Peeps in the last spice trade. It is phenomenal. A very peppery, savory rub with some zing. It should compliment the marinade nicely. Now its going back into the fridge for an hour to form a little pellicle.

Meat goes on for an indirect smoke followed by a quick sear at the end

While it smoked I prepped the rest

Meat's done and resting. Smells amazing

Dogs have noticed...

Sliced. I pulled from the fire at 115

And the meal... The jalapenos on the tacos are from my garden.. I pickle 6 or 7 jars a year.

It was fantastic. Wife took a bite of meat and immediately said it reminded her of Mexico, so my mission was accomplished. I love this meal. You get Salty, savory, spicy, smokey in the meat, a little tart from the meat and pickled jalapenos, sweet from the corn, onions, and tomatoes. It hits all the notes and blends perfectly for a great experience.

Thanks for lookin'

Thanks everyone! It was dang tasty. I ate 4 tacos, totally killed the buzz I had going from the tequilla, but I'm working on getting it back..

What a great meal...I especially liked the slicing photo!

That's an entry that will be very hard for anyone to beat.

Thank you! I don't know about that, there are a great bunch of entries this round, and I would bet there will be a few more before Monday morning.. Yours looks fantastic by the way..

Very nicely done, Matt! Great idea on the injection! Glad you are enjoying the rub!

I really am Peeps. I may need to work out a future shipment if I can't find it online.. That stuff is a gem!

Before you buy it online, let me check the store price. I don't think I paid anywhere near the prices I am seeing online...

Looks like about 12 bucks a bottle on amazon. I've still got half a bottle, so no rush. Let me know how it looks locally. Thanks, brother.

Back