Tenderness of Brisket

How high (degrees) do you take your briskets for competition?

I am going to age for 30 freeze thaw and see what happens. I will let you guys know. I will probably cook it in two weeks.

Every brisket will finish at a different temp. You just need to know what it feels like when its done. We cooked Wagyu all summer and had finishing temps from 195-205. Most were done around 201-203

My vote goes to freezing doesn't hurt the meat at all. The "ice crystals" argument sounds valid but we all bought into the "searing seals in the juices" before as well. Sure a brisket could lose some juices upon thawing but I'm not sure if it's enough to affect tenderness. A brisket is not a balloon that will pop once it's thawed. I freeze all of my meats and I couldn't tell the difference if they were bought that day or the month before. Cook it right and you'll be fine.

It has worked for me for a couple years now.

I cooked 2 briskets last weekend. One had been frozen and allowed to thaw for 2 days in the frig. Both about the same weight and as close as possible to obvious fat content. Both cooked the same with the frozen brisket not as tender as the other. Coincidence? I have no idea. Both were good just a difference in tenderness. Take it for what it is. BOTH WERE CONSUMED WITHIN 24 HRS. :becky:

I do this all the time..........mostly because I'll buy a brisket when I find a good price and I freeze it till the week Im going to smoke it and thaw it in the fridge.

I haven't cooked that many but I HAVE had one that was tough from not being in the smoker long enough, so I cut it in chunks and made burnt ends :-D

It has worked for me for a couple years now.
Count me in as well... I trim, cryo-suck, and freeze all of my comp meats based on when they are on sale and what looks best.

My opinion...for what it is worth.

Wagyu vs Choice:

My experience:
Is that when we select a very good CHOICE brisket our scores will be more consistent, but the big calls are harder to get. Wagyu briskets can run hot and cold depending on the event, but we have had most of our big calls, including four 1st place calls this year with Wagyu.

Disclaimer: Wagyu (in my opinion) tends to put off bitter tasting drippings sometimes (this is not a good thing).

Freezing Briskets:
We have had a couple of very big calls with frozen Wagyu briskets, and although injection (Kosmos/Butcher/Fab-fellas chime in here) do put a lot of moisture in the meat...I have heard that freezing can cause water/moisture capsules in the meat to burst. That could be something fancy that I heard that sounded somewhat scientific and just made me believe it...but I do.

Disclaimer: I would try to avoid freezing, but it isn't the end of the world.

Overall opinion: Wagyu wet aged 30-50 days is our way, but we do back up with a Choice Brisket every so often when we find a beauty. Next, I would pump that temperature up from 200 degrees a little bit...seems a bit low.

Also, Trust your Butcher...unless he charges you $9.37 an lb for a brisket :becky:.

So before you throw that book away...at least start your next chimney with it, get drunk, fake stumble into somebody (who can cook brisket) camp and shig away! Blame it on the alcohol and the book!

If that doesn't work...apologize in public...if you apologize in public the other person has to accept it.

Back