Tenderness of Brisket

Yeah that could have been it or the fact that I paid so much it actually "tasted" better in my own mind. Either way my opinion is it was at least 25% better.

I know I do.

I freeze them after aging for 40 days. I slowly defrost them in the fridge a week away from the contest. I've also won with brisket that I defrosted in a cooler of water in 8 hours...

Many ways to cook BBQ. Use the way that is best suited for you.

Remember to keep it simple.

Yup.. many ways.. I buy 21 day old briskets (fresh never frozen) on tuesday and cook them until tender on saturday.. 5 out of the past 9 contests have been 1st place.. As far as freezing for the sake of tenderness, just cook the dang thing until it's tender.

That's obvious, but if you have a good piece of meat and you finish 10th maybe a piece of Wagu will get you into the top 3. I've heard of guys finishing 10th cooking with a good piece of meat and then placing first with wagu. Isn't ANY advantage still an advantage? :thumb:

Well, a good C.A.B. can get 1st and a waygu can get 10th. All about the cook and luck at the tables.

This year I finally got to know "the feel" when I probed our brisket. 1/2 our contest were top 10 and it was always our worse category. By the end of the year I had the process down 100%. Don't think it's one of those things you can do twice and say you're an expert..

wagu made a big difference in my book and was well worth the extra cost to me.

just curious, what are you paying per pound and how big of a brisket are you cooking?

I have very limited experience with the waygu, but it doesn't seem to me that is wins that much more consistently to justify the added cost. I have found that proper aging and careful selection makes a huge difference.

yo Steph, diggin the new avatar brother!

I agree with the practice statement. I have cooked maybe 50 or so and I think I am starting to get the feel.

You still have to know how to cook brisket... I've heard of a lot of guys blowing $90-100 for a Wagyu and not finishing in the top 10. A well cooked select will beat a Wagyu any day, if you don't know how to cook brisket.

Amen Brother! Angus Choice in the hands of a good cook is hard to beat!

I agree with the practice statement. I have cooked maybe 50 or so and I think I am starting to get the feel.

No BS, I'm at roughly, really roughly, 3500 since 2004 and can still blow one. Just look at my last contest scores...;-)

How do you cook the perfect brisket?

What are the judges looking for? I know about burnt end, and pulling the meat apart. Is there anything else? Is there a certain flavor the judges are looking for?

I have cooked two and I thought they came out decent. Just not enough bark. I cooked it to 200.

Are judges even that worried about bark?

I know I do.

I freeze them after aging for 40 days. I slowly defrost them in the fridge a week away from the contest. I've also won with brisket that I defrosted in a cooler of water in 8 hours...

Many ways to cook BBQ. Use the way that is best suited for you.

Remember to keep it simple.

definitely words of wisdom the only change I would make is to keep it simply simple for the kiss method I don't like the keep it simple stupid one :-D

There really is no advantage to wagyu when slow cooking. Thats 100% tested and guaranteed by me!

I second that Matt! We finished 4th place in the Jack last weekend with a CAB Choice grade brisket that wasn't aged more than a week or so. Both of the briskets we cooked had great marbling for choice grade...and I credit my buddy for picking them out. They both turned out great, and the toughest decision we had was deciding which one to go with. I have wasted Wagyu briskets on 2 separate occasions this year. In both cases I expected the Wagyu to be better than my CABs and they WERE NOT. Don't waste your money unless you want expensive hamburgers :-D :thumb:

Kevin

The first contest I ever cooked in I bought the first whole brisekt I'd ever bought. Up until then I'd only bought flats at the grocery store. The only place I could find a whole brisket was at a local Kosher deli.

I had the butcher trim it for me.

Ready for the price? (I wasn't, but I didn't really know any better...)

$9.37 per lb.

$130.00 for ONE brisket.

Took second place out of a field of 80, but geez....

In respect to the statement that thawing makes the Brisket loose fluid I would have to say that they are replenished when injecting.

My vote goes to freezing doesn't hurt the meat at all. The "ice crystals" argument sounds valid but we all bought into the "searing seals in the juices" before as well. Sure a brisket could lose some juices upon thawing but I'm not sure if it's enough to affect tenderness. A brisket is not a balloon that will pop once it's thawed. I freeze all of my meats and I couldn't tell the difference if they were bought that day or the month before. Cook it right and you'll be fine.

How high (degrees) do you take your briskets for competition?

I am going to age for 30 freeze thaw and see what happens. I will let you guys know. I will probably cook it in two weeks.

Back