Team of the Year Idea - What do you think?

Have never cooked with(or know of) the team you mentioned but imo the TOY is for those that prove themselves in different areas of the country cooking often--against the best most every weekend....can't be considered the best without singing in Carnegie Hall if you get my drift

So, karaoke in the local pub or singing in the shower dont count???lol great point, I was just looking at Pellet Envy's stats, pretty inpressive!

So no body thinks a team the cooks 6 contests and GC 4 RGC 2, could be considered TOY. That seems like a team that is pretty dominant. Are they TOY worthy?

Is a team that cooks 6 contests and has 4 GC's and 2 RGC's worthy of a
Team of the Year award over a team that cooks 30 contests and has 8 GC's and 5 RGC's?

IMO, no. While a team like Able Acres has had a great year, and a lot of success, I wouldn't consider their accomplishments ToY worthy. Now, with that said, if they could cook 20+ contests a year and keep that same winning percentage, they'd be a strong candidate for ToY, IMO...and the current system would reflect that.

nothing you can do in 5-6 contests compares to what Pellet Envy, Bub-Ba-Q, Quau, or any of the other top teams have done.

Thom - I'd stay away from the focus on trying to get the 5-15 tournament teams in the chanse and look at how the big sponsors can be leveraged in a different manner. Sam's can stay ToY, but redesign the August contest and present when measurement date is at. This can get more teams involved early on in the year.

Kingsford should be completely redone into a format that you decide. Not taking anything away from Quau, but it was designed to be taken by a team that can travel that much. It would benefit from being regional based, allowing for top teams that compete in the 2-4 events in their region to earn points, then have the top teams in a seperate Kingsford Team of the Year tournament, either being conducted at the same time as the Royal (could make some sense) or in another cookout towards the end of the year. Each region could have a recognized winner w/ $ purse, plus an overall winner as well.

To me this makes more sense and has been something the BoD should really look at, at least when they're not compiling their reports, or lack there of

Im not saying that they should be considered, well i guess in a way i am, but what makes a team an elite team, i would have to say that 4 GC would surely put you in the top tier of competitive bbq. Some cooks cant cook 25 weekends a year, does that make them any less of a team? I dont have a dog in the fight, i can only cook 5-7 comps a year, but what is the criteria for being an TOY worthy team?

Im not saying that they should be considered, well i guess in a way i am, but what makes a team an elite team, i would have to say that 4 GC would surely put you in the top tier of competitive bbq. Some cooks cant cook 25 weekends a year, does that make them any less of a team? I dont have a dog in the fight, i can only cook 5-7 comps a year, but what is the criteria for being an TOY worthy team?

Being a ten contest a year kind of team up until this year (and planning on going back next year), I can say I've seen it now from both sides of the fence. We're getting ready to compete in number 19 this year. My wife and I are 5th this week. We are almost 100 points behind Pellet Envy and Quau... and we thought we were doing really well. I can say from this experience that compared to what we are doing, what Rod and Mike are doing is absolutely amazing! As much as we have accomplished, these guys have done way more! My level of respect for anyone in the chase in any year has increased by leaps and bounds. So... what makes a team TOY worthy? No disrespect meant to anyone but catch Rod and/or Mike and win it! Then you're worthy. I wouldn't say the number of contests you cook per year has anything to do with how worthy you are. Do it in ten events or do it in 30 - doesn't matter. But you'd best bring your A game every week because these guys do.

Well said Jeff, its a incredible grind...we GC'd this weekend (granted in a small event) and moved up exactly ZERO spots in the TOY overall rankings this week...

Last edited:
It could be done many ways
I would be in favor of address of record for the Head Cook being his region
All the contest locations you mentioned would probably be in the Eastern Region
I would want to ensure it leaves open the shot for me to come out to a region and try to compete for it. We work our family vacations around BBQ... NY, AR, OK, TN, KS/MO/etc. If I want to compete in a region, I'd like a shot. I may not know that until I am out in the mix cooking it.

Yes I agree the National KCBS ToY should remain as is
It is working very well for the professional level teams
All teams would "declare" for either the National or Regional ToYs
in Jan or upon joining
I dont know about "declairing"... couldnt the fact that you cooked in the region put you in the pot? Then I can choose where I compete... plus contests come, and go, get cancelled, etc... which could effect if I had "declared". I'm all for regional champions... but I think forcing someone to declare, reduces travel and intermingling of teams... If I win two in CO, I might just cook 3 more out there I wasnt going to, in order to try to get a regional cup.. but if I have to declare, and didnt, I probably dont go cook those others. I say keep it open,and it will drive more/better competition. :wink:

Thom - I'd stay away from the focus on trying to get the 5-15 tournament teams in the chanse and look at how the big sponsors can be leveraged in a different manner. Sam's can stay ToY, but redesign the August contest and present when measurement date is at. This can get more teams involved early on in the year.

Kingsford should be completely redone into a format that you decide. Not taking anything away from Quau, but it was designed to be taken by a team that can travel that much. It would benefit from being regional based, allowing for top teams that compete in the 2-4 events in their region to earn points, then have the top teams in a seperate Kingsford Team of the Year tournament, either being conducted at the same time as the Royal (could make some sense) or in another cookout towards the end of the year. Each region could have a recognized winner w/ $ purse, plus an overall winner as well.

To me this makes more sense and has been something the BoD should really look at, at least when they're not compiling their reports, or lack there of
Actually Kingsford, with the points now doubling and tripling... mean someone could come in right now and beat mike... with far less contests under his belt... The exponential points make it far more exciting at the end... and even it up for people that cook great, but dont have the vacation.

Being a ten contest a year kind of team up until this year (and planning on going back next year), I can say I've seen it now from both sides of the fence. We're getting ready to compete in number 19 this year. My wife and I are 5th this week. We are almost 100 points behind Pellet Envy and Quau... and we thought we were doing really well. I can say from this experience that compared to what we are doing, what Rod and Mike are doing is absolutely amazing! As much as we have accomplished, these guys have done way more! My level of respect for anyone in the chase in any year has increased by leaps and bounds. So... what makes a team TOY worthy? No disrespect meant to anyone but catch Rod and/or Mike and win it! Then you're worthy. I wouldn't say the number of contests you cook per year has anything to do with how worthy you are. Do it in ten events or do it in 30 - doesn't matter. But you'd best bring your A game every week because these guys do.
Running around AR, and FL last year, trying to catch Rod, and ISS, etc.was alot of fun, but it is a daunting task to g:mod:et to the top spot. I am with you Jeff, it is a huge undertaking. I used every ounce of vacation I had, to eek into the top 5. Sure was fun trying though :) Tough to bring A game every week. :) Rod, Mike, and crew are machines. Someday...:mod:

What Andy said ^^^^

Except for the part about being in the running last year. (I wasn't in the running, won't ever be in the running.... etc)

Regionals count give us some flexibility

We already have regionals. Regional BBQ societies like NEBS, Mid Atlantic, FBA etc. sanction regional ToY contests right now. The NEBS cup goes back to the mid 90's. Why exactly do we need a KCBS version of these as well?

The National ToY system is pretty good - the right team has won the last few years. However, there are some teams that seem to get into the mix mostly based on cooking a lot of contests. So it is not a contest against 4000 teams (or whatever) but a contest among the 20-30 teams that cook contests almost full time. I don't know how to fix that, but that is the weakness of the current system in my opinion.

One nice add may be some novelty type ToY awards like most Grands cooking less than 10 contests, greatest point margin of victory, highest score etc. Make the individual categories scoring system more friendly to the teams not cooking 30 contests a year.

Yes Chris in some parts of the country we do have regionals,
Not everywhere and the regions would be much larger than
present associations We do not want to cause harm to the
associations, we want to add cooks to the cook offs :)
Andy some good points the exact make up of this is developmental
to say the least :) Declaring is a early concept that may not be needed
When I first worked on this last year it was pay to play
But at Mesquite the organizers heard it out and wanted in enough to foot the bill
for the regionals That maybe the best model

However, there are some teams that seem to get into the mix mostly based on cooking a lot of contests. So it is not a contest against 4000 teams (or whatever) but a contest among the 20-30 teams that cook contests almost full time. I don't know how to fix that, but that is the weakness of the current system in my opinion.

Would averaging a team's scores, rather than only taking their top 10, help? After you cook 10 contests, there is no risk...only upside. While I know that's good for KCBS and contest organizers, I think if you have a span of bad contests it should bring your team of year rankings down.

One nice add may be some novelty type ToY awards like most Grands cooking less than 10 contests, greatest point margin of victory, highest score etc. Make the individual categories scoring system more friendly to the teams not cooking 30 contests a year.

I like the current system. I don't want a team that only cooks 7 contests and wins 4 to be considered for the TOY. Do it in the long run over the course of a season... Does it limit the teams eligible? Sure does. But let's face it. to compete that many times in a year, you can't suck and you are more than liklely one of the top teams going... Like I've said in the past. The last few TOY has been awarded to the best team of KCBS.

They also do a few of these awards Chris. I remember highest score for the year and another one. It sure beats the old days, when awards went out to local KC area teams that made a great breakfast. While I understand the process of those local teams for wanting to do that. When you weren't a local team and they were giving these awards, it seemed too sterile. then again, they got rid of the Fireman award that was a national award.

The cynic in me can see folks complaining about these awards too though. That Rod Gray and Mike Wozniak had more opportunities to get a higher score because they cooked more. Not because they are that farking good... :doh:

I like the current system. I don't want a team that only cooks 7 contests and wins 4 to be considered for the TOY. Do it in the long run over the course of a season... Does it limit the teams eligible? Sure does. But let's face it. to compete that many times in a year, you can't suck and you are more than liklely one of the top teams going... Like I've said in the past. The last few TOY has been awarded to the best team of KCBS.

The current system is pretty good. I wasnt suggesting that a team that cooks 7 contests should be able to win (although winning 4 out of 7 should place you at lot higher than the current system does). I was suggesting that the "top score" type awards be expanded.

Would averaging a team's scores, rather than only taking their top 10, help? After you cook 10 contests, there is no risk...only upside.

Yes it would be nice to have winning % as an element of the scoring. The team that wins 7 out of 15 should place higher than the team that wins 7 out of 30.

Sorry, I do agree Chris. I started with one thought and placed my other thought prior to my other part of my post. Lack of concentration... That Jets game just took it all out of me last night... :becky:

Back