Tea-smoked Ahi tuna.

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Dinner tonight was Tea-smoked Ahi Tuna with stir-fried asparagus and baby Bella mushrooms. This was an experiment based on something I read about on the internet.

Marinade for the tuna

1/4 cup Chinese dark soy sauce
2 tbs. rice wine
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
1 tsp. finely grated orange zest (from one of the oranges in the relish, below)
1 tbs. sesame oil

I mixed the ingredients and marinated the fish for about two hours before it went on the grill.

Smoke mixture

¼ cup alder pellets
¼ cup black tea leaves
1 tbs. light brown sugar
3 small cinnamon sticks broken up
1 tbs. dehydrated onion flakes
2 small pieces of dried ginger root

I turned on side of the grill up to high. On that side went an aluminum foil bowl with the mixed smoke ingredients spread out to a thin layer. The other side went on low. On that side went the tuna. Once the smoke was rolling in the grill, I put the tuna in an oiled fish basket on the grill. I grilled the tuna to an internal temp of 120, then pulled it and immediately served it with the asparagus and mushrooms.

The asparagus and mushrooms were stir-fried in bacon drippings and olive oil and sauced with the remaining marinade from the tuna. Then crushed chili flakes were added at the end.

The smoke smelled amazing, and the flavor really worked. The wife and I are doing a Christmas Chinese banquet this year, and this may very well end up as an appetizer. I'd slow smoke it instead of grilling, and thin slice it on the bias for serving.

IMG_0306-small_zpsyesil4un.jpg

That really looks beautiful. I have never heard of tea smoke but then I am still a virgin in many ways. Nice cook!

Back