THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great post Mike!! Dayum fine pics (as always)!! :grin:

Gotta place an order asap!! Have a one day event at the end of September...tri-tip is a category!!

Thanks for the info. That's some valuable information you just shared. Yeah, I sometimes forget that cooking is all about the cook and making it to "my" liking. If it it needs more than one flip, then dang-gummit, she's gettin' more than one flip!

One last question. How the heck do you trim that sucker? I wouldn't even know where to start.

One last question. How the heck do you trim that sucker? I wouldn't even know where to start.

I've been trimming meat and butchering deer for years, so I suppose I can make things sound/look easier than they really are... BUT, trimming these skirts was really no different than trimming any other large piece of meat, like a brisket, spare ribs, pork butt, etc., and it was very easy. Just a little time consuming.

Start on a corner, pry up the connective tissue covering the meat and work the TIP of your knife in the seam where the connective tissue connects to the meat. Apply pulling pressure with your off-hand and use the knife to free up the stuff you're trimming as you pull. Make small, controlled strokes and work slowly. Sometimes, once you get something freed up, you can just pull it off like a big sticker, sometimes it requires some knife work to free it up. There's always a seam between meat and fat, just find that seam and use your knife to break the connection. It is critical, however, to have a very sharp knife to do any trimming/butchering. Using a dull knife makes the process very difficult. Sharp tools always make the work easier. Everyone has their own definition of "sharp", so when I say sharp I mean it should at least be shaving sharp.

picture.php

A few years ago (showing my age now!) you could buy flank steaks and skirt steaks a lot cheaper than hamburger. Then it got popular with the grilling crowd and the price went out of sight. Too bad, because they are delicioouuss!

I made this tonight on my new bge and it was amazing. I thought i had plenty of extra meat, but ther wasn't one drop left. I also cooked the tortillas for 15 to 20 seconds ane they were great as well. Served it with homemade guacomole , salsa, cheese, grilled onion and green and red peppers.

I made this tonight on my new bge and it was amazing. I thought i had plenty of extra meat, but ther wasn't one drop left. I also cooked the tortillas for 15 to 20 seconds ane they were great as well. Served it with homemade guacomole , salsa, cheese, grilled onion and green and red peppers.

That sounds AWESOME!! Thanks for giving the recipe a try, and thanks for your business!

Back