THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broke some tiles and layed them dry just to see how they might look. I have more tiles to break. Grout color will be charcoal to match the kettle.

kt13.jpg

I really don't want to rain on your parade, but if your going to lay broken pieces, (rubble style), don't try to grout it with the epoxy. You'll have exposed tile shards. Epoxy just won't fill the joints full enough.

I'll forewarn you, rubble is a cool look, but with quarry tile, it makes a lousy work surface. If you have as little as 1/16th inch of grout wear away, you'll be ripping rags and skin every time to try to wipe it down.

Sorry to say it, but trust me on this one.

Chris

I'll forewarn you, rubble is a cool look, but with quarry tile, it makes a lousy work surface. If you have as little as 1/16th inch of grout wear away, you'll be ripping rags and skin every time to try to wipe it down.

Good point Chris. I know this is true as I have done bathroom counters using broken glazed tiles and there are some exposed sharp edges.

I will seriously rethink the tile situation. Thanks again!

George

Lookin' great Carbon. It makes me want to get out there and make a homemade grill/cookstation.

Thanks guys! I decided to fire up the grill over the unfinished table to do a heat check on the table. And while I'm at it I threw in a bunch of beef short ribs. :D

kt14.jpg

^^^ Yes, a red kettle sure would be nice...:)

The heat was a little intense underneath where I banked the charcoal. I will add a tin baffle around the perimeter of the kettle underneath this weekend.

Well, nearly a month after stripping the old table I think I'm just about done with this project, working a couple of hours here and there on weekends.

Thanks for the tile advice I received from a couple of members here, but at the end my wife wanted the look of broken tiles no matter what so I went with that but instead used broken pieces of marble.

The bricks are not mortared or secured for now as I am not sure if I like that design. I might get rid of the apex and lower the 'firewall' by a couple of courses, and use landscape cement block adhesive to secure the bricks, just in case of an earthquake.

The only other thing I need to construct is a simple lid holder just to the left side of the table......it may be in a form of a small side table or whatever, or even just a simple bracket, similar to a Slide-Aside that Weber sells.

P1030647.jpg

P1030644.jpg

The only other thing I need to construct is a simple lid holder just to the left side of the table......it may be in a form of a small side table or whatever, or even just a simple bracket, similar to a Slide-Aside that Weber sells.

The Slide Aside will mount to the table side no problem.
A more simple solution is to drill a 1" hole 1 1/2" in from both edges at the corner. 3/8" deep will do. Use a Fostner bit for clean finish. Otherwise a spade bit will work too. Then just hang the lid in the hole using the built in hook.

Man...I'm jealous!
I'm in the middle of a long drawn out project (in other words...my wife is nagging me about that "thing" in the garage) that involves building a table for my 2 UDS's... using the design of the Weber Performer Table. I was thinking about doing a stainless table, but after seeing this thread...I may have to go with tile...

The Slide Aside will mount to the table side no problem.
A more simple solution is to drill a 1" hole 1 1/2" in from both edges at the corner. 3/8" deep will do. Use a Fostner bit for clean finish. Otherwise a spade bit will work too. Then just hang the lid in the hole using the built in hook.

Thanks, yes, I thought of utilizing the hook under the lid. But I'm leaning more towards a small side table that can be retracted or folded against the main table. Part of the lid can rest on this side table, clearing the kettle.

What did you do to protect the wood from the heat? And are you going to be using this to grill stuff and get the heat nice and hot so you actually have to worry about that?

What did you do to protect the wood from the heat? And are you going to be using this to grill stuff and get the heat nice and hot so you actually have to worry about that?

As I mentioned in my earlier posts there's absolutely no kettle to wood contact. There's plenty of air space between the wood and kettle. Also, wood surfaces under the table facing the kettle have been covered with cement board and tin baffle.

P1030634.jpg

Carbon keep those pictures and build instructions coming, I like what U R doing and I will be building something similar for my Kettle after I finish with mobilizing my WSM.

Back