THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Just curious... I'm looking at a Gateway for rib competitions. Also considering BGE since I'm very used to cooking on them, but they are heavy and fragile so that might not be the way I want to go.

Does anyone use sweet rubs on a drum with the rib hooks? Does this work well or does it just burn up? Since this would be a new cooker to learn, I'm wondering if my recipes would need to change as well.

I dont hang ribs on a Gateway but I have done it on a Hunsaker with ribs containing sugar and there's no issue with burning the sugar, even right next to the charcoal basket. For a competition I'd probably just cook them on the grate though to avoid holes from the hooks and the possibility of losing a rack into the charcoal.

Good to know. I know very little about the drum process so thank you. So with the ribs horizontal instead of hanging, are you using a deflector plate over the coals or is that not necessary on the top rack placement?

The envelope of heat and the convection action in a drum works well when hanging ribs. Instead of the heat hitting one major surface (meat side or rib side) when cooking on a grate, it only hits the end rib and then drifts upward. I don't trim the end closest to the coals so there is some meat to sacrifice.

The envelope of heat and the convection action in a drum works well when hanging ribs. Instead of the heat hitting one major surface (meat side or rib side) when cooking on a grate, it only hits the end rib and then drifts upward. I don't trim the end closest to the coals so there is some meat to sacrifice.

How do you feel about hanging method for competition? I was thinking I would hang until the wrap stage, then put on the grate in foil. From what I read I'll only have about 2- 2.5 hours to work with....

How do you feel about hanging method for competition? I was thinking I would hang until the wrap stage, then put on the grate in foil. From what I read I'll only have about 2- 2.5 hours to work with....

I've hung ribs at home for 10 years, and hung them for two backyard competitions and a first time KCBS competition where we got 11th. So that is how it worked for us.

6nXcrqW.jpg

Back