Sunday night Tri-Tip

Looks delicious!
I always smoke mine at 225 until IT gets to about 120, and then i sear over high heat until IT reaches about 135. Always delicious and juicy.

That's probably closer to what I'll do next time. Reason? It took a while on the sear to reach an IT of 130. I had the Kamado up to 600 for the sear so I was worried I was gonna burn the outside before it reached 130. I think when some people go lower IT before the sear they are probably searing at a lower temp as well.

Wow double post! Sorry my phone froze and next thing I know I've posted the same thing twice.:oops:

@Gary tomato, Santa Maria is my go-to with tri tip. I first had tri-tip at a block party in Oakland and the caterer schooled me up on his method(I learned recently that the tri-tip is just the whole cap from a sirloin). Quick hi-temp over redwood with Santa Maria seasoning is the traditional prep for tri-tip. IMHO that can't be beat. I pull it at 119 degrees, and during the rest the temp climbs to about 128. Let me know if you want my Santa Maria rub recipe.

@Gary tomato, Santa Maria is my go-to with tri tip. I first had tri-tip at a block party in Oakland and the caterer schooled me up on his method(I learned recently that the tri-tip is just the whole cap from a sirloin). Quick hi-temp over redwood with Santa Maria seasoning is the traditional prep for tri-tip. IMHO that can't be beat. I pull it at 119 degrees, and during the rest the temp climbs to about 128. Let me know if you want my Santa Maria rub recipe.

I'm always in the mood for a new recipe! :becky:

Back