Strube Ranch briskets

"Over 90% of Strube's carcasses grade Prime, the highest grade award by the USDA. Once a carcass receives the USDA Prime grade, it is graded again by a third party using the renowned Japanese BMS scoring system. This assures that you will receive a product that not only adheres to strict USDA Prime standards, but to elite Japanese standards as well."

Is there an average BMS score they are looking for, is it marked on the product?

Trust me, I do not want to join the party. Just curious. Don't know enough about the product to make an informed decision, so I tend to rely on the BMS score. :oops:

Sorry, I missed this question somehow. All of the comp briskets that we sell score aprx 6 to 8 on the BMS chart. Some may go into the BMS 9/10 range. We score them within a range so we don't mark the individual BMS on each one. The BMS score applies to the actual carcass grade so every cut off that carcass will have the same score. One thing that alot of people do not realize is that if an animal is over 30 months old, the USDA can not actually grade it prime or choice. Many Wagyu fall into that category because they are on feed so many days. So there are cases that a carcass could be a BMS 11 or 12 but technically can not be called prime by the USDA due to age. Sad but true. Hope this helps.

Ooops...fried might be considered a dirty word on this BBQ forum. Chef Killen won the Houston Best Bites with our ribs a few weeks back. Those were smoked :)

HA! Fried a dirty word on this forum? HAHA! This is the forum where a member introduced to the world a 3BGB, essentially sausage gravy stuffed inside a pork ball and then a biscuit which is then deep fried.

Tia, do you pull the coulotte off your sirloins? That's a great cut.

Yes, we cut a peeled top sirloin. The top cap (coulotte) has been seperated. Both are just fabulous. I just cooked a top sirloin in the crock pot tonight. Yes crock pot...don't laugh ;) Wind gusts were 40 mph today, otherwise it would have been on the MAK.

As some one intimately familiar with animal breeding, I would love to ask some questions about this for professional curiosity, but I'm not sure if I can ask about genetics. :(

dmp

If you feel like genetics are off topic, feel free to private message me or email me with any questions. Info@struberanch.com. Not sure I have the info you are looking for but I will do my best.

Yes, thanks to BP we are now spoiled to pellet smokers. With our MAKS I can even smoke with no help from the hubby. So easy.

I agree....definitely underrated. Same with the chuck flat iron...it has some of the most dramatic marbling on the animal. Many folks seem to shy away from it because it's a bit more labor intensive with the center membrane. But well worth the effort I think.

Sorry, I missed this question somehow. All of the comp briskets that we sell score aprx 6 to 8 on the BMS chart. Some may go into the BMS 9/10 range. We score them within a range so we don't mark the individual BMS on each one. The BMS score applies to the actual carcass grade so every cut off that carcass will have the same score. One thing that alot of people do not realize is that if an animal is over 30 months old, the USDA can not actually grade it prime or choice. Many Wagyu fall into that category because they are on feed so many days. So there are cases that a carcass could be a BMS 11 or 12 but technically can not be called prime by the USDA due to age. Sad but true. Hope this helps.

First, thanks for your answer. Personally, I have not cooked anything grade 8 or higher. So it sounds like your beef is top notch. Kudos to every one who did the hard work to get it there and every one who works to keep it there.

This kind of makes me sound like a jerk (this is not my intention), but feel free to direct me to a better source of information. I am absolutely here to learn and do not mind being proven wrong. This is what pulls up from a direct link on the USDA website (document number included for reference).

USDA Website said:
§53.204 Specifications for official U.S. standards for grades of slaughter steers, heifers, and
cows (quality).
(a) Prime. (1) Slaughter steers and heifers 30 to 42 months of age possessing the minimum qualifications for Prime have a fat covering over the crops, back, ribs, loin, and rump that tends to be thick. The brisket, flanks, and cod or udder appear full and distended and the muscling is very firm. The fat covering tends to be smooth with only slight indications of patchiness. Steers and heifers under 30 months of age have a moderately thick but smooth covering of fat which extends over the back, ribs, loin, and rump. The brisket, flanks, and cod or udder show a marked fullness and the muscling is firm

Age is not figured chronologically and the method they use may actually work for or against a nontraditional breed. This may be where some ambiguity may occur.

Tia Maybe you could explain the sheer test vs the prime rating.

I'll take a stab at this:) Marbling rating is a subjective measure assigned to meat from visually inspecting it. I believe that the standards are published by AMPS, and I don't know their details, but it comes from visually inspecting meat, and guessing that the more fat a cut of meat has, the more flavour it has and the more tender it is.

The Warner Bratzler shear force test is a way to cut a piece of meat using a special tool that measures the force needed to cut through it. The more force required, the tougher the meat.

dmp

How much is shipping to the North East(Boston,MA area). Have been using a different product, but am always looking for other options!! Thanks!

I am lucky enough to live less than 10 miles from Killens steak house. The chicken fried steak is delicious. Great info in this thread.

First, thanks for your answer. Personally, I have not cooked anything grade 8 or higher. So it sounds like your beef is top notch. Kudos to every one who did the hard work to get it there and every one who works to keep it there.

This kind of makes me sound like a jerk (this is not my intention), but feel free to direct me to a better source of information. I am absolutely here to learn and do not mind being proven wrong. This is what pulls up from a direct link on the USDA website (document number included for reference).

Age is not figured chronologically and the method they use may actually work for or against a nontraditional breed. This may be where some ambiguity may occur.

Doesn't sound like a jerk at all. Nothing wrong with questions. Believe me, I'm far from an expert on USDA rules. You are correct about what the USDA rules "say"...42 months is the max. But sadly that is not what actually happens many times. I didn't choose the best wording for my original response. The USDA guidelines call for a max age of 42 months to be eligible for choice and prime grading. Unfortunately after 30 months of age, due to ossification of bone, it becomes more and more difficult for cattle to be graded. It varies greatly from inspector to inspector and plant to plant. Also, each animal is different and will also age differently. We are source verified and track all ages. We know how old each animal is. We might have an animal that we know is 26 months old but the inspector has noted that the bones show "advanced maturity and ossification". This means the carcass can't be graded even though marbling is abundant. One more reason the BMS scale as a second tool is so useful.

Back