Strategizing for a party

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Doing some Q for our daughter's wedding reception next Saturday. Will be 50-60 people and I have been asked if I could do some briskets and butts. This is probably overkill but in the interest of not running ANY chance of running out of food I'm planning on doing (2) 15lb briskets and (3) 8-9lb butts.

At my disposal is my big rig, the Shirley trailer pit, a Big Joe Kamado and a UDS. I also have a Cambro and coolers.

Guests coming over at 3:00pm and we are eating at 5:00pm.

I have been instructed by the Mrs that I am absolutely forbidden to be horsing around with smokers and cooking while guests are arriving. Have also been told not to pull an all-nighter and be dead-tired for the actual party.

Strategy 1: Utilize the Big Joe for the three butts and my UDS for the briskets. Pretty much set 'em and forget 'em, which lets me get some decent sleep. Although I'd have to wake up and rotate the briskets on the UDS at some point.

I'm not sure if putting them on at midnight the night before and running temps slow (like 240-250*) would allow me to get the sleep I need while giving them enough time to rest (but not too much rest).

Or I wake up in the middle of the night, fire the pits up and let them run a bit hotter, getting done around 12:00pm.

Strategy 2: Use the Shirley pit, but cook everything on Friday during the day. I have no idea how to let them cool and then re-heat them if I do that but my dad suggested that as an option.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

For being done with cooking by 3pm (if that is your stop) I'd wake up at 6am, fire up my SF meat on by 6:30 rolling 325 and bigs meats get done in 6-7hrs. Wrapping about half way through.

Consider doing them a day or two ahead and reheating them in the chafing pans with the drippings/broth/juice?

I would agree, it won't be fresh off the grill but most likely the best Q they've had. :)

Enjoy the day!

For being done with cooking by 3pm (if that is your stop) I'd wake up at 6am, fire up my SF meat on by 6:30 rolling 325 and bigs meats get done in 6-7hrs. Wrapping about half way through.
This.

You'll be done around 1:00 if not sooner with your cook, let the meats rest in a cooler/cambro and you are good to go with hours to spare.

Consider doing them a day or two ahead and reheating them in the chafing pans with the drippings/broth/juice?

If I wanted to go down this route what's the best way to store cool and reheat? I have chafing dishes available. I've also seen folks say they store in vacuum sealed bags and reheat in hot water...

If I wanted to go down this route what's the best way to store cool and reheat? I have chafing dishes available. I've also seen folks say they store in vacuum sealed bags and reheat in hot water...

I only vac-seal if I am holding for more than three days to keep the meat fresh over a longer period of time. For only a day or two, I don't vac-seal.

Cook as you normally would, and then as normal let the meat hold/rest in a cooler/cambro. Once the holding time is up;

for brisket; after the rest, quickly chill the brisket by placing it in a pan on ice. Once it is cool, slice and put into chafing pans and add de-fatted drippings equally to the pans. If more liquid is needed you can add beef broth. tightly cover with commercial plastic wrap, then cover with foil. Refrigerate....

for pork pulled pork; after the rest, pull the pork removing the fat. Put into pans and quickly cool. Add the de-fatted drippings equally to the pans. If more liquid is needed you can add apple juice. tightly cover with commercial plastic wrap, then cover with foil. Refrigerate....

You can cut pieces of cardboard just slightly larger than the chafing pans if you plan to stack them. This will prevent them from sinking into each other. If you have a walk-in cooler, the fruit boxes from BJ's and Costco will hold several trays and will easily stack on top of one another which makes the task easier.

30 minutes before serving place the pans in an oven at 250 for 30 minutes then move to chafers with hot water and sterno. Stager the pans so they aren't all sitting in the oven at once. As you remove a pan add another. The covered plastic food wrap will hold up under the foil at 250 and lock in moisture as it heats. Keep in mind the food is fully cooked and you are only reheating to 145 - 150°, a safe serving temperature.

I've done large gatherings many times and this works well, you are not tired, or physically spent. This will allow you to enjoy the wedding as well and be alert and refreshed.

Doing some Q for our daughter's wedding reception next Saturday. Will be 50-60 people and I have been asked if I could do some briskets and butts. This is probably overkill but in the interest of not running ANY chance of running out of food I'm planning on doing (2) 15lb briskets and (3) 8-9lb butts.

At my disposal is my big rig, the Shirley trailer pit, a Big Joe Kamado and a UDS. I also have a Cambro and coolers.

Guests coming over at 3:00pm and we are eating at 5:00pm.

I have been instructed by the Mrs that I am absolutely forbidden to be horsing around with smokers and cooking while guests are arriving. Have also been told not to pull an all-nighter and be dead-tired for the actual party.

Strategy 1: Utilize the Big Joe for the three butts and my UDS for the briskets. Pretty much set 'em and forget 'em, which lets me get some decent sleep. Although I'd have to wake up and rotate the briskets on the UDS at some point.

I'm not sure if putting them on at midnight the night before and running temps slow (like 240-250*) would allow me to get the sleep I need while giving them enough time to rest (but not too much rest).

Or I wake up in the middle of the night, fire the pits up and let them run a bit hotter, getting done around 12:00pm.

Strategy 2: Use the Shirley pit, but cook everything on Friday during the day. I have no idea how to let them cool and then re-heat them if I do that but my dad suggested that as an option.

Any thoughts on what I should do?
best advise: LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE!!!!

^ This was my initial thought, but I would not run as hot. You could use 2-3 smaller butts in the 7.5-8 lb range, if you can find them. The last time I smoked butts (1 - 8lb & 1 - 7.5lb) and wrapped after 3 hours, they were done after 6 hours @ 275 - 285. If you usually do not wrap, then maybe now is not the time to try it.

With that said, since it is your daughter's wedding, I'd cook the day before. This is about your daughter, not your cooking, no matter how good it is.

All the Best!

Sounds like a ton of food for 60.

Now here is how i handle cooks for gathers and still get my sleep.

Start in the evening and cook until wrapping point. For me this runs from about 8-2. Should be in/near the stall by then. Once wrapped put meat in oven at low, 225 ir under. Wake up early and check the meat, when it feels about done put the oven on lowest setting. A few hours before service you can start to hold everything in coolers.

Not sure id try a new technique for such an important cook but its something to keep in mind

Thanks for all the suggestions!

So updated plan is we are going to have 100 people including kids, so about double what I was previously told. Complicating this is the fact that about 2/3 of the people will be Hispanic which based on previous experience means allotting 2-3x more food than I'd do for a party full of gringos. (Full disclosure wife is from Guatemala so what I'm saying isn't a slight just the cold hard facts).

So now I'm thinking 2-15lb briskets and 3-9lb butts aren't gonna cut it. We are adding hot dogs for the kids so that will help.

The other thing is need to be done cooking by 12:00pm sharp. I was thinking about MadMan's idea of the day ahead cook then reheating. But the cook in me is still trying to figure out if I can do this in the Big Joe and UDS - overnight cook where I still get sleep.

Only question is how much meat should I get with 100 people?!?

What Jason said and I would add two more butts to be safe....

^^^^this is what I'm starting to lean towards. Get these meats on at 4:30am and run the Shirley hit like 325*. I have extra hickory so that would help with the heat!

So updated plan is we are going to have 100 people including kids, so about double what I was previously told. Complicating this is the fact that about 2/3 of the people will be Hispanic which based on previous experience means allotting 2-3x more......
So now I'm thinking 2-15lb briskets and 3-9lb butts aren't gonna cut it. We are adding hot dogs for the kids so that will help.....

Your original 2 briskets and 3 butts was about 55# raw / 33# yield @ 60% yield. That's 1/3# per person, a normal amount with adequate sides. My best friend is from Aguascalientes in Calvillo, Mexico and I've partied enough with him, his family, and our other Latino friends to know what you're saying about them being able to eat better than the average white guy lol. You might double your original plan (as you suggested), and I wouldn't count on the hot dogs to slow the kids down much, they usually want the good food that everyone else has! Good luck, and please report back!

Go with 10 butts and 4 packers. Remember you can load them up with smoked baked beans and or Mac n cheese.

^^^^this is what I'm starting to lean towards. Get these meats on at 4:30am and run the Shirley hit like 325*. I have extra hickory so that would help with the heat!

For what its worth, I cooked for 150 at my daughter's wedding. Smoked 6 butts and 2 full packer briskets, with 3 sides.

Ran out of brisket after most of the people had been through the line but had at least a full butt leftover. For 100, I think 4 - 10 lb butts would be plenty, but there is nothing wrong with leftovers.

I cooked both at 275 for 6-7 hours, with time to rest and everything turned out fine. I did separate the point from the flat on the briskets and took the points off a little early and used some in the baked beans.

Last edited:
I had a buddy with me to keep an eye on things while the meat was resting and during serving, which was a lifesaver.

So updated plan is we are going to have 100 people including kids, so about double what I was previously told. Complicating this is the fact that about 2/3 of the people will be Hispanic which based on previous experience means allotting 2-3x more food than I'd do for a party full of gringos. (Full disclosure wife is from Guatemala so what I'm saying isn't a slight just the cold hard facts).

So now I'm thinking 2-15lb briskets and 3-9lb butts aren't gonna cut it. We are adding hot dogs for the kids so that will help.

The other thing is need to be done cooking by 12:00pm sharp. I was thinking about MadMan's idea of the day ahead cook then reheating. But the cook in me is still trying to figure out if I can do this in the Big Joe and UDS - overnight cook where I still get sleep.

Congratulations on the wedding...
Let us know how it all works out, wishing you the best in your endeavor.

When my daughter got married a friend help me cook a day ahead of time. Remember this is her special day and it only happens once for her. If you don't have a friend to cook for you then also keep in mind you don't need additional problems with a cook on that day.

Not telling you what to do, but my personal opinion is that you should be there for her slightest whim, although daughters are close to their Mom, they have a special bond with Dad. I wouldn't have had it any other way when my daughter got married, but then again that's just my personal choice.

Thanks to everyone!

My Dad is always a great help to me in getting stuff sliced and served. Since the girls are going to be doing girl stuff in the morning I'm free and clear until 12:00pm so my plan is to fire up the pit at 4:30am and start cooking at 5:00am. Gives me 7 hours at 300*+ which should be enough time to get everything done by noon.

Keeping things very simple. Will trim everything Friday evening, rub 'em down and roll. No injections, mops, etc. Wrap at 165* IT and then pull just a hair before fully done to allow for some carryover in the Cambro while resting.

Good luck with everything. I am cooking for a friend's wedding next month, and since I am not in the wedding and can stay in the kitchen, I am actually looking forward to it.

Back