Strange Pork Belly

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Last week picked up 10 pounds of pork belly to make some bacon. I bought them at Whole Foods...AKA Whole Paycheck at $6 a pound. I got them home and was rather disappointed....they are very thin, less that 1 inch and I really don't see any fat in these at all. They are in the cure and hope they turn out alright but how do you get a pork belly with no fat...and bacon with no fat....hmmm

Attachments

• Belly.jpg
    Belly.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 174
First mistake: paying $6lb for pork belly.
Second mistake: doing it at Whole Paycheck.
Third mistake: assuming that an establishment that prides itself on organic products would sell meat with fat in it :shocked:.

The best source I have here is a Asian grocery chain called Ranch 99. Bellies are no more than 3.49 per pound there.

I hope the cook turns out well. You might try making friends with a local pig farmer to get better bellies.

Not all is lost, yes you paid way to much $$$$.
Why not cure it, roll it up and make PANCETTA.
Do a search at bottom of page for some good tutorials as to how.

looks to me like you got the end cuts... they can be good, but you find a lot more inconsistencies in the meat/fat ratio...

Best advice given above, find an asian/hispanic market near you and buy from them, usually way cheaper and usually have many to choose from.

I get mine from an Asian market.

$2.49 lb

they are in nice 2 or so pound cuts, fresh wrapped in saran wrap, so you can easily inspect them and they are easy to handle

I've had good luck with the bellies from my local Whole Foods. Usually around $3.50/lb which for around here is a decent price. I always ask them to just give me a whole belly still in the cryovac.

Back