Steak and Fries on the Blackstone

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Tonight's Dinner: Steak and Fries

And yet another experiment with the Blackstone. A few weeks back I griddled some frozen Steak Fries that had been sitting in the freezer for quite some time with freezer burn. The results were not all that appealing. Not really edible, in fact they were downright terrible.

Determined to succeed with making French Fries on this griddle, I researched some recipes. I don't own a fryer, don't ever want to own a fryer and have never had a reason to fry potatoes in a skillet full of oil. But I do have a Blackstone.

Let today's experiment commence. This may be old hat to some, but it's new to me.

Four or five Russet potatoes, washed and sliced thin with the skin left on -

Blanched in heavily salted water for 8-10 minutes. Removed, placed on a paper towel lined cookie sheet, dried as much as possible and sprinkled with EVOO, S&P. And out onto the griddle they went with a bit more EVOO. After a few minutes they're taking on a decent color -

When they're getting close to done, on goes tonite's steak which is a London Broil. Simply seasoned with my usual Worcestershire and Montreal Steak -

A few minutes per side on the steak, fries are looking quite good -

London Broil's almost done -

Fries are done and looking better than I could have expected -

London Broil's definitely looking good! -

And plated with some of the leftover Bacon Fried Corn I made the other day -

That's it. Tonite's dinner on the Blackstone. The London Broil was excellent, the fries were outstanding. Fairly crispy on the outside, that nice tenderness on the inside. A successful experiment! I may never buy another bag of frozen fries again.

Thanks for checking out tonite's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks great,taters cooked in bacon grease cant be beat lol being diabetic sucks when it comes to taters :sad:

Great looking Grub!

I cooked fish and fries on mine last Friday night and was thrilled with the result as well.
About the only thing I did differently was to cover the fries for the majority of the cook, then uncovered them towards the end to crisp the outside. Kind of like double frying them. They ended up soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
My said she doesn't see any reason to deep fry fish or fries ever again. I think she liked it.

Great looking Grub!

I cooked fish and fries on mine last Friday night and was thrilled with the result as well.
About the only thing I did differently was to cover the fries for the majority of the cook, then uncovered them towards the end to crisp the outside. Kind of like double frying them. They ended up soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
My said she doesn't see any reason to deep fry fish or fries ever again. I think she liked it.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, my wife is sold on the griddle as well. Fortunately she never questions any of my bbq purchases.

Nice!

How long did the fries take?

Probably about 15 minutes or so on the griddle. Precooking them by blanching them gave them a good head start, plus I was practicing my knife skills trying to get them uniformly sized :tongue: so they were thin.

Probably about 15 minutes or so on the griddle. Precooking them by blanching them gave them a good head start, plus I was practicing my knife skills trying to get them uniformly sized :tongue: so they were thin.
Very nice. Blanching makes sense. Never had luck with raw potatoes on a griddle or cast iron skillet.

Back