Steak and Eggs with A5 Wagyu

I haven't tried A5 Wagyu but I've eaten lot of really expensive Hanwoo beef in Korea. Hanwoo doesn't have the crazy Wagyu marbling but still way more than USDA Prime. And I have similar thought as you about good CAB ribeye tasting just as good if cooked properly as any Hanwoo or Wagyu. It's why I didn't order that A5 Wagyu ribeye from Crowdcow during the sale even though I was tempted to check off the bucket list. If I'm going to try A5 Wagyu for the first time, I want to do it when I visit Japan so I can get the full experience.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from trying it though. It is very good, and I think you should try as much food as possible.

Wow. Don't know that I could pull the trigger on a steak like that, although since I raise my own I feel a little bad any time I eat other beef as I've got a freezer full of it, but it don't look like that.

I'm stealing that pasteurized egg idea with my duck eggs. That is so happening. I feel beef tartar coming on soon. Thanks for the post.

Wow. Don't know that I could pull the trigger on a steak like that, although since I raise my own I feel a little bad any time I eat other beef as I've got a freezer full of it, but it don't look like that.

I'm stealing that pasteurized egg idea with my duck eggs. That is so happening. I feel beef tartar coming on soon. Thanks for the post.

I hear you, I have a freezer full of beef too. But I really wanted to try A5, and didn't think I would see it any cheaper. Here are some ribeye's from the last steer I had butchered. Not A5, but not enough difference to justify the cost.
picture.php

The eggs are happening, and I bet the richness of a duck egg would make it that much better. Just put whole eggs in the sous vide, no bag needed. Leave them at 135 for 1 to 5 hours. I went 2, and they were great.

I hear you, I have a freezer full of beef too. But I really wanted to try A5, and didn't think I would see it any cheaper. Here are some ribeye's from the last steer I had butchered. Not A5, but not enough difference to justify the cost.
picture.php

The eggs are happening, and I bet the richness of a duck egg would make it that much better. Just put whole eggs in the sous vide, no bag needed. Leave them at 135 for 1 to 5 hours. I went 2, and they were great.

Those look like pretty good rib steaks to me. So whole egg in the sous vide and then just separate the yolk from the white after they are pasteurized?

Holy crap, Josh... that is absolutely awesome. The wagyu is killer-b, but the duck fat potatoes... dang. I’m totally ready to eat like you when I grow up.

Last edited:
Looks mighty tasty Josh! Hope you and family had a wonderful 4th!

Holy crap, Josh... that is absolutely awesome. The wagyu is killer-b, but the duck fat potatoes... dang. I’m totally ready to eat like you when I grow up.

:laugh: Thanks man, it was actually a very simple cook. The potatoes had a few extra steps, but very low difficulty, and amazing results.

Back