Stainless steel grate cleaning.

Bean438

Grill is 3 years old. Other than cleaning when I grill, my grates have never been cleaned.

I tried using a steamer and wire brush. Nope.

I soaked grates in soapy water over night. Nope.

I sprayed with oven cleaner and left in garbage bag over night. Nope.

Grates are carbines pretty bad.

Any ideas? Sandblasting? Don’t worry about it?

I would have thought the oven cleaner would have done the trick. Did it help at all? Maybe do it again and use scotch bright after you pull them and while they still have the cleaner on them. Any pics?

The oven cleaner helped but it did t get everything off. I guess I can try another round.

Also was gonna look into Dry ice blasting.

I use Sams Members Mark Commercial Oven and Grill Cleaner. 3 32oz. bottles for $9. The label says to wear gloves and if you don't, it will take the hide off of your hands. For really tuff jobs like grates, put them in a hd garbage bag and spray really good and leave in the bag for 3 hours. It works for me.

I use Sams Members Mark Commercial Oven and Grill Cleaner. 3 32oz. bottles for $9. The label says to wear gloves and if you don't, it will take the hide off of your hands. For really tuff jobs like grates, put them in a hd garbage bag and spray really good and leave in the bag for 3 hours. It works for me.

good stuff been using it for years. I actually think they watered it down a few years back.

Do you have a self cleaning oven? Always works for me. :wink:

When we self clean our oven the manual says to remove grates. Now, grill grates are much thicker but is it safe? Self clean oven is hotter than grill?

I have filled a wheelbarrow with water and added a couple gallons of full strength ammonia then put grates in and soaked overnight.

I’ll try the self clean. I’m in Canada so I can’t get the sams club stuff. Border is still closed due to super deadly and super duper contagious covid 19.

When we self clean our oven the manual says to remove grates. Now, grill grates are much thicker but is it safe? Self clean oven is hotter than grill?

In a previous oven, I didn't read the directions before starting the self clean. After cleaning, the oven grates had gotten hot enough to warp and no longer slid in and out of the oven well.

Bruce

This is my go to...

picture.php

Dam that's a big pic!

I place my stainless grates on some fire bricks and use a weed burner to turn any buildup to ash.

In a previous oven, I didn't read the directions before starting the self clean. After cleaning, the oven grates had gotten hot enough to warp and no longer slid in and out of the oven well.

Bruce

This is why I’m reluctant to try the self clean, but I also understand there’s a huge difference between oven grates and my grill grates. Big difference

Back