THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

perkj

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi All,

New member to the forum. About a month ago I was on the weber virtual forum and saw a post that mentioned a guy on ebay, who goes by the id rcplanebuyer, may be willing to make a Stainless Steel Flavorizer plate for the WGA gas, see post 14 here: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?41956-Thermometer-for-a-Go-anywhere/page2&highlight=rcplanebuyer+WGA .

I was very interested in this since the original porcelin coated steel flavorer plate from Weber rusts out in a matter of months after heavy use. So I contacted rcplanebuyer about making me one. While he had made a couple in the past for his friends, he no longer had the program to make them. But rather than give up, I got him hooked up with an original flavorizer plate so he could make one again. In about a week's time, I received the SS flavorizer plate for testing and I must say he did an excellent job! You'll notice from the pictures below that the factory bar has three larger louvers across while his has 4 smaller louvers across. This was because he didn't have the louver tooling to make them as large as the original. His louvers have a little larger height for the opening, which is needed to ensure the total "open area" of the louvers per row are equal to the "open area" of the original. I measured the louvers with some calipers to calculate the total area per row of the louver's opening and sure enough the total area between original and his is near exact. Why is this important? I wanted to be sure the heat from the burner under the flavorizer bar was able to flow into the grilling area at the same rate as the original bar.

Next I tested heat up times between the two and I found no difference in heat times. Both heated the grill to 500 degrees in just over 15 mins (note: I am using the Craycort CI grates and I also have a thermometer on the hood). After a few heat cycles of the SS Flavorizer plate, I took it out and its form was unscathed…meaning all the angles were the same and no warpage of any kind. I am very impressed with it. Its made of 18 gauge 306 SS so it is very stout and the great news is THIS THING WILL NOT RUST! He is now offering them on ebay for $30 with free shipping….while its a little more pricey than the $20+shipping weber replacement (which will just end up rusting again), IMO its a worth while investment.

Below are some pictures of the bar as well as some pics of my WGA. Also, here is his ebay link if you are interested in purchasing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131092399587

Original Flavorizer Plate:
9201.jpg

SS Flavorizer Plate unfired:

SS Flavorizer Plate After firing:

SS Flavorizer Plate in the WGA:

SS Flavorizer Plate with the Craycort Grates on:

My WGA gas:

…and it's charcoal twin :wink: :

Last edited:
Yeah he's widely regarded as having top quality SS flavorizer bars for a number of other grills as well. I can add that he's a top notch guy to work with as well...can't believe how quickly he was able to churn this WGA one out and his communication was awesome every step of the way.

Back