THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have the Emril / All Clad cookware set. We paid a little less than $250 for it about 5 years ago. In my opinion they are excellent in there usability and durability. I use these and a bunch of old cast iron that I have found at various second hand stores and sales. Im not talking about chinees iron I only buy old American iron Wagner, Griswold, Wapac, Lodge and other high quality OLD AMERICAN MADE CAST IRON. I threw all the tephlon coated aluminum stuff in the garbage years ago.

I have the Emril / All Clad cookware set.

Which Emerilware set do you have? The set that they carry at BB&B has a tri-ply botom, but is just aluminum on the sides. I haven't seen his Pro-Clad line anywhere but online.

Im not talking about chinees iron I only buy old American iron Wagner, Griswold, Wapac, Lodge and other high quality OLD AMERICAN MADE CAST IRON

I'm with you there! I have a nice lodge CI pan that I use all of the time, and Parsley Lady (my wife) works at a local Goodwill store and she keeps here eye out for good CI. She can't buy it until it has been on the shelf for at least 30 minutes, so a lot of it is gone before she has a break and can get it, but she's gotten a few pieces.

I love my cast iron stuff, but, it is not as carefree as stainless, absolutely cannot be put in a dishwasher when I am feeling lazy and some stoves do not advise you use it on their crappy weak elements. I think there is a place for many different types of pans in a kitchen, I do have one of those European ceramic reinforced non-stick pans for eggs, it is better than anything else non-stick, I wish they would use a heavier base metal pan, or multi-clad, for their product.

A note on Cook's Illustrated and why I do not trust their reviews. I have used many of the items they have reviewed and believe they allow price to influence their perception. Their reviews on knives and cookware are very much not in line with my personal experience. I like their recipes and cooking tips, but, feel their equipment reviews are lacking.

i have a full set of 2 yr old kirkland that is great. i also have a large collection of le crueset that is fantastic. between these two sets i can do anything i need.

i looked at the calphalon sets and loved 'em but being a frugal chap, went with kirkland.

cheers.

scott

not sure of the name but we bought a set of those heavy stainless sets that are sold at home partys. 30 years and they are still going strong. worth every cent.

i got a set of Saladmaster stuff that i bought at a home party 35 years ago. still use it every day!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I have done a lot of research on the subject of SS cookware and I can't really find anyone that knocks the Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro stuff. It's generally referred to as having near All-Clad quality without being even close to All-Clad price. The 12 piece set is like $300 and if you can find the set in a Bed Bath & Beyond store you can use one of those 20% off coupons they always send out. I plan on getting this set once I move in a few months.

Ronelle, maybe you should just ask Santa for what you really want... the full Rachel Ray collection complete with garbage bowl.

41I4r5eWWDL._SS500_.jpg

I have a set of the Calphalon Professional pots and pans. They work great, but my next set will be stainless steel. The main reason is while the calphalons are holding up well, because we are pretty gentle washing them, they are wearing out, slowly. The bottoms of the skillets are kinda messy because you never really scrub them to remove every last spill that burned on the sides. (well I do, Most of the time, but the rest of the family doesn't) At least with a stainless set if I was worried about the shine I could take them into the garage and use my buffer on them. It did wonders for the stainless steel trim on my car.

We also have a Rachel Ray giant oval skillet with a glass top. Its a great pan and I love the silicone rubber handle. Never gets hot, and its thick enough so you always have a firm grip. The calphalons have a steel handle and sometimes you need a pot-holder.

This thread reminded me that we have an All Clad kettle that, over time with a lot of steam pressure, has started to leak at the neck. Since All Clad offers a lifetime warranty, they are giving us our choice of several pieces of cookware in exchange. They don't make the kettle anymore, so they can't do a straight replace.

Lifetime warranty on mfg defect is a strong value add.

The Calphalon is what I would buy if I was looking between those two. We bought a mix of the Members Mark(Sam's House Brand), and the Puck Stainless - and it has been abused (contests, kitchen use, and trailer) and cooks wonderfully.

I have a full set of All Clad and can't say enough good things about them.
They are really great and will last a life time. Yes, they can be expensive, but it should be the last set you
will ever need to buy.
You can also go crazy like I did, and buy a full set of Copper Pots and Pans that are lined with Tin or Stainless Steel.
If you do this, you will love each piece like a baby, and you will also need to mortgage the house to buy them.
I bought my Copper peices when I lived in Europe. Check out these brands Mauviel, Falk, Bourgeat.
http://www.e-dehillerin.fr/en/heavy-duty-copper-lined-with-tin.php
http://www.copperpans.com/

Here is a pic of my son Vincenzo helping me in the Kitchen. If I did this correctly you will see some of my copper cookware in the background.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Attachments

• Vincenzo%20cooks%204.jpg
    Vincenzo%20cooks%204.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 65
That copper cookware is gorgeous, I'd love to own a full set one day, but I doubt I ever will.

That Cuisinart Multi Clad set on Amazon is DIRT CHEAP! $240 including shipping is a steal. That set usually retails around $300, unless it's been discontinued or replaced. Either way it's still a great price for a great set, and it's about 1/4 what a similar setup through All Clad would be. Sure it's not quite up to par with AC, but for the price, who cares?

Back