SRF Pork Collar on the LSG Vertical Insulated

htrisna

Take a breath!
So, it's time to cook the Snake River Farms Pork Collar that I bought a couple of weeks ago when they were on sale.

Injected with Butcher BBQ Open Pit Injection and some cayenne to heat it up a bit.

3 big chunks of oak and a chimney full of lit briqs.

Fiesta's Uncle Chris seasoning on the outside

The instructions says roast at 350F for 1-1.5 hours until 145 Internal. No way. I cook till probe tender. Well, I took it off when it is sliceable. I could have cook it to pullable but better be safe than sorry. It turns out great and it was about 185 internal

There's no way I'll buy grocery store butt no more son, I am RUINED!! this is the way pork is supposed to be. I don't care if I have to pull some overtime at work.

SRF Pork Collar!! Get em son!!

Flavor, and tenderness. Flavor is rich due to the marbling, and it has a wider window of tenderness vs dryouts.

You don't have to cook it all the way to 205 to have tenderness, but if you do, or if you overshoot it a bit, it'll be more forgiving.

The richness is hard to describe other than it seems to be umami in every strand, and not just from seasoning either.

I understand it's not for catering due to cost, but for your own family, absolutely.

Explain the difference.....looks great....:hungry:

Thanks for posting on the pork collar. I got mine last week, and I'm looking forward to cooking it also!

looks awesome! did you pull it or slice? and that uncle chris' is good stuff.

That looks great. How long of a burn time do you get with that fire load?
5 hours at 300F. Full Lit chimney, no unlit ones, and 3 chunks the size of 2 fists each. Make sure you pile coals almost to the top of basket wall or you'll have a hard time reaching 300. I had to readjust the pile. The bricks help.

And they have them on sale right now.....I'm in...with both feet...:thumb:
:whoo:

looks awesome! did you pull it or slice? and that uncle chris' is good stuff.
Slice, to pull it, I'll need to leave it in there a little longer. It was fork tender though.

Nice, good looking meat with good color also. I done one once, pulled though.

Back