SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans, Season 2" Throwdown!!! (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Haastile, welcome to the Noobian Nation! Looks like we got ourselvs a cook here........But, instead of just the finnish shots we need some cook pictures too.
All the finish shots look Great! Cook on Bro, Cook on!

Noob ABT Entry

I feel like I have a "cap gun" entry after the posts by Haastyle...

I made a dozen ABTs today for an afternoon snack. Jalapeños, cream cheese, sharp cheddar, bacon and some Original St. Louis area Maul's BBQ sauce. I sprinkled some Smokin' Guns Sweet Heat in the filling and on the bacon before the cook.

a3d23fb2d549e0754d1df61cc67c15e3_zpse053e10c.jpg

Official farkanaut entry

I present honey chicken, veggies and mashed taters!

Simple recipe. grill chicken, brush with honey with 5 min of cooking left. :bow:

All the veggies.

main.php

The chicken.

main.php

Onion, shallots, carrots, garlic, mushrooms got chopped, tossed with EVOO, S & P and the parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme. Ended up not using the squash, it was a little riper than I wanted.

chicken was sprinkled with S & P then some butter mixed with the herbs was rubbed under the skin.

main.php

Onto a grill with a chimney of Kingsford Blue. There's a pan in the middle below the veggies to keep them from burning. The chicken was cooked direct, on grill grates.

main.php

main.php

Right before brushing with honey.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Ready to eat! Standard stuff for the mashed potatoes. Peel, boil, mash. Gravy is a simple roux of equal parts butter and fat (bacon grease in this case) cooked until light brown then add chicken stock until you get to whatever thickness you want. I actually used half stock, half milk this time. It gives the gravy more creaminess.

The honey glaze only shows as a little extra shinyness, but let me tell you, it's pretty darn tasty!

POLLING PIC RIGHT HERE
main.php

main.php

My Official Vet Entry (2) to "Noobs vs Vets" Season 2

Please accept my 2nd Farkanaut entry titled, "Julia bombs the Noobian hordes with cheese soufflé"!

I planned to do this cook on Friday afternoon, despite thunderstorms and a tornado watch our skies remained sunny and blue. Life just kept getting in the way, though, and despite my best efforts I wasn't able to and then the dark clouds rolled in. We didn't get a tornado but we did get some high winds. The branches of a black walnut tree above where my kamado used to be last year fell down, I moved the kamado to clear the area for a smoke shack build. The photo below is of a different black walnut tree about 350 metres/yards away from where my kamado is now. I allowed it to grow there to be a corner in the permaculture area I'm creating later. I'll cut it down and plant an oak and a chestnut tree as new corners. Good thing I didn't smoke my soufflé on Friday, the thump of the tree branches falling would have deflated my hard work.

picture.php

I got the recipe and directions for this souffle from watching a Youtube video of Julia Child's "The French Chef" television series. Here's the video, it's hilarious!

[ame]http://youtu.be/IFAjJif7OoY[/ame]

Below are the ingredients. I didn't have milk so diluted 1/4 cup half and half with 5/4 water to get my 1 1/2 cups of milk.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

First I separated the eggs from the whites -- a total of 6 yolks and 8 whites were needed.

picture.php

I used a corning ware dish I already had, it was a little wider than what Julia used on the video but it worked well. It is buttered with grated cheese sprinkled on top of the butter, I chose Romano because that is my favourite grated cheese.

picture.php

Next I made my béchamel sauce/thick white sauce. Started with a roux, eyeballed too much butter so put that aside and started fresh with a measured amount of butter to the measured flour. Really glad I started fresh because the sauce came out beautiful and exactly how Julia described it should be.

picture.php

The egg yolks make it a beautiful yellow and thin the sauce which is why it's important to start with a very thick one. I kept the sauce warm by inserting the pot in a larger pot of hot water as Julia suggested and it made the mixing trouble-free.

picture.php

Beat the whites in the mixer until they were glossy and just starting to stiffen. Added cream of tartar to the egg whites and 3 drops hot sauce, salt, a 'speck' of nutmeg and all but two tbsp of the grated Swiss cheese to the folded/combined sauce and egg whites. Sprinkled the reserved cheese on the cooking soufflé at 35 minutes when it was safe to do so.

picture.php

Made a collar to contain the souffle's rise and buttered it so the souffle would not stick. Used a sewing needle to fasten the collar to itself.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Of all the days to have trouble getting my kamado up to 375'F! I overshoot my usual smoking temperature of 250'F all the time because I get sidetracked and don't check often enough. This day I checked temperatures every 10 minutes and had a lot of trouble passing 300. I had several other things on the go simultaneously and had to run out of the house in about an hour, not returning for about 11 hours. My kamado was only at 350, Julia's recipe called for 375, but since I had no time to do things differently and would be out of town most of Sunday, the last day of the TD, I put the souffle in Dragona's fiery belly and hoped for the best.

Here’s peeking through the top vent. I could only take one picture, my camera refused to take another, I think the vented air was too hot for it. You can see the sides climbing the collar and the middle lagging but still rising.

picture.php

Here’s my very first soufflé successfully baked on my kamado!! Julia said I should poke the middle with a skewer to check for doneness, it should come out clean when poked into the middle and it did. :clap2:

picture.php

picture.php

Julia said souffle must be served immediately after coming out of the oven because every souffle will start to deflate as it cools. This is taken about 4 minutes after coming out of Dragon'a fiery belly and it's still quite high.

Please use the photo below for voting.

picture.php

picture.php

It was delicious!! Béchamel sauce in 'scrambled eggs with Swiss' really elevates the flavour! Carol made it very clear I am to make this cheese soufflé often.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Argghhhhh! Listen up all you swabbies,
I saw this:
attachment.php

And as a loyal vet, could not let it go unanswered, SOOOOOOO take this ya fairweather noobians!
RotisserieChicken004_zps171fe9fb.jpg

Seasoned and trussed
RotisserieChicken005_zpsd047e507.jpg

Speared and onto the cooker
RotisserieChicken010_zps462c94d5.jpg

And the big entry shot............now this'll shiver yur timbers!
RotisserieChicken014_zpse48d8a58.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Full thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166874

KC

Last edited:
Instead of entering this dish in the eggplant/tofu TD that has special rules about only being able to enter one entry...........:biggrin1: (Guerry!:-D) I'll enter it here...............unless there are special rules about that TOO!:heh: It's an offshoot dish that I created from some of the leftover filling I had from creating this dish:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166828

I call it..........Sausage and Eggplant Mush on a Ho.............cake!:laugh:
eggplanttofu001_zpsc47b4362.jpg

Let's see what ya got Noobs!:boxing:

This is an official entry.
Moroccan Cardinals
First, I sliced up two brown onions and 4 garlic cloves, nice and thinly. Fried the whole eggplants in shallow oil to crisp the skins.I halved two eggplants and carved out the flesh being careful to leave enough wall so they would hold their shape as they were cooked with filling.

I spiced the onions and garlic with cinnamon, cayenne, and toasted fennel as well as some Moroccan Spice blend

I layered some baby bell peppers, mozzarella cheese and Canadian bacon over the top.
Into the BSKeg to cook at 400f

I put in an effort to please my lady
--Entry Photo Please Mods

Entry Photo please mods

and she pleased me in return! :biggrin1:

Scrumptious, the onion and garlic melted into an unctious filling with the sparkle of the spices really bringing it to life.
The baby bell peppers gave it some zing, and the bacon gave it a lofty richness
I'm a convert, I bow to the awesome eggplant as a real delicious worthy food item.:biggrin1:
All hail the Eggplant!
:bow:
Thanks guys and gals

:yo:

Zees eez an entre Official!
Oignon, le poireau et la tomate provençale tarte

First, I had to make a pastry pie outer and I cooked this on the BSK at 400-500f with an eggwash.

In ze meantime, I sweated 600g of leeks and onions with some butter and OO.

Pastry cooked and a lovely golden color, I pressed the insert down , lovely and flaky, looking good!

We spoon the soft rich onion and leek mixture into the pie shell

Next, we fill with filets of anchovies for delicious saltiness, fresh seasoned medley of heritage mini tomatoes, baby bell peppers fried lightly in bacon fat, speck lardons, black kalamati olives and some fresh continental parsley.

The flakey buttery pastry and fresh zesty tomatoes balanced amazingly, while the salty notes of rich anchovy and olives were heady and the bell peppers and parsley set the high tone for savory zing. The gorgeous crunchy Lardons pushed it over the top!!
We thought we were sitting at a table on the side of the Sienne river in a Parisienne cafe.
That, brothers, was a stunning way to do a BBQ French meal that would have curled Julia Childs toes in ecstacy!

:yo:

Back