THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's my entry:

Put the rub on Saturday morning. I used meathead's brisket rub from amazingribs.com. The brisket went on Sunday at about 5:30 a.m.

P1010004.jpg

First time cooking brisket HnF, first cook on my mini-WSM, first time using lump. I cooked the first 2 hours LnS and then raised the temp to the 275 range for the remainder of the cook. Here was what it looked like right before I separated the point and rested the flat (best crust I've made so far):

P1010006.jpg

Here's the point getting prepared for burnt ends.

P1010010.jpg

While the flat was resting, and after getting the burnt ends on, I prepared some ABTs and some Mac n' Cheese (didn't get a photo of the Mac n' Cheese pre-cook):

P1010008.jpg

I had the ABTs and burnt ends in the mini-WSM and the Mac n' Cheese in the OTG:

P1010012-1.jpg

Mac n' Cheese during the cook (made with chorizo, sharp cheddar, mixed Mexican cheese mix, topped with Parmesan cheese):

P1010011.jpg

ABTs and burnt ends come off:

P1010013.jpg

Flat removed from the cooler and prepared for eatin'!!

P1010014.jpg

My first plate of the evening, along with collard greens prepared with some bacon fat as well.

P1010015.jpg

You may enter so long as you make a casserole with eggplant as the primary ingredient for the main dish. You must make exactly three sides using any combination of SPAM, Gefilte Fish, Vienna Sausages and canned Spotted Dick. You may make them seperately or mixed together as you see fit, but you must use all 4 ingredients within the set of 3 sides. For a drink you are allowed to use anything you like so long as it is in a can, and served in the can it came in.

Piece of cake....

Actually, make it so he has to also make an eggplant cake... This I gotta see!

Piece of cake....

Actually, make it so he has to also make an eggplant cake... This I gotta see!

Yeah, he took it easy on Gore. He get's to use a picture. I have to use a thousand words. Of course, to bigabyte, a thousand words is a very short post. :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: So, he may have thought he was going easy on me.

I thought cooking on Mt. Everest was appropriate for team egore, but Would have settled for Pike's Peak.

CD

Subzerogriller, those are nice looking sandwiches, mmmmmm. I like that you included the thinking behind the compromise between cooking and working -- shows there's versatility in BBQ when needed and attempted. Interesting about the rubs, too, I've also found I like some seasonings on pork shoulder and not ribs, and vice versa. Interesting to hear someone else's story on this.

Thanks, Kathy! I appreciate the support. It wasn't a great cook, but I look forward to improving for my next TD!

A question for you veterans (or perhaps for the Czar himself): Has anyone ever made the Zero Club twice in one week? Because I'm pretty sure I've got a shot at it...would be FANTASTIC if I could set a record in the process...

rgrizzle should get Bonus points for employing the "Cute Kid Crutch" so early in his TD career. It took some of us a long time to discover that. Well played Sir. Great Entry.

Thanks. They may tug at the heart strings but they are worse than ol dad when it comes to BBQ. Every day one of them will ask what are we fixing on the smoker today?

Subzero, nice looking sandwich! how long was the squash on? i have one sitting on the counter waiting to be cooked

Thanks, Seadad! I had the squash on for about 2 hours, then had to pull it due to work. It wasn't quite as done as I'd like (I like mine pretty soft, whereas I have a friend who prefers his to have a little bite to it yet). We ended up tossing it in the oven at 250 for about another 30 mins or so, and it was great. Generally, I'd say 2 hours if you like it with a little crunch to it; 2 1/2 to 3 hours if you like it softer like me.

Well, here goes....this is my official entry into the Special Noob TD. Go easy on me guys, it's my first time.

I built a thing in my yard a few months ago, experimenting with some ideas. I realized a few weeks ago that I can use it as a smoker, and in looking for recipes I ended up here. I've only been smoking for these last few weeks, and have never used a proper smoker, but, thanks to you guys, I've been churning out food I never thought I could cook. My entry is a basic PP sammie, with coleslaw and beans.

I started last fall, when I raised three Tamworths. I had planted a bunch of extra stuff for them, so they were raised on stuff grown here, with some supplemental grain.

P1160881.jpg

I pulled a (I think) shoulder roast out of the freezer, and got it thawing. Once thawed, I used a homemade rub. Sort of your basic sugar/salt/paprika/spices thing I've adapted from a few recipes I've tried.

P1210397.jpg

P1210398.jpg

I fired up the "smoker", plugged in my new Maverick for the first time, got 'er to temp, and started cooking. I don't have any pics of the meat during the cook, but here's the fire about halfway through the smoke. I was running around 250 or so, and ended up cooking this thing for around 6 hours until internal temps hit 195.

P1210511.jpg

While that was going on, and thanks to the Maverick letting me wander around, I went down to the garden and found this guy...

P1210558.jpg

I picked an onion as well and got an egg from the coop. I used the yolk from the egg and whisked it with a drop of lemon juice and then slowly beat in oil to make mayo for the slaw. Added vinegar, cracked pepper, a bit of sugar and then chopped up the cabbage and onion and got that all tossed together. It went into the fridge to rest. Next up was the roll. I keep sourdough going all the time on my counter, so I threw some of that into my little bread pan, which I bake inside a dutch oven to get the crust nice and crisp. 450 in the oven for 45 minutes, and I've got a sandwich roll.

P1210602.jpg

At this point the meat is resting on the table, and I made a special effort to brown nose and hit any special rules I could.

_1210545.jpg

P1210550.jpg

A few days ago I had smoked one of the hams from my hogs, and then made a huge batch of smoked ham and beans, which I canned. I got one of those cans out, mixed in some brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, molasses, and some other stuff to make baked beans. All that was left to do was to pull the pork.

P1210594.jpg

I whipped up some BBQ sauce using some tomato sauce I canned from last year's garden. Added vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire, some more spices and some other stuff I'm forgetting. Got that ready, then plated the beans and slaw and got the bread cut...

P1210608.jpg

...and Viola!

_1210628.jpg

Brother Matt :hail: I hail to you as well. Where do I start? Growing a pig for a throwdown, that's where. You must be psychic to raise a Tamworth last year for this throwdown. I looooove your homemade smoker. I love that you reached in for an egg to make mayo, found a cabbage in the patch for slaw, used an old camera for extra points, canned your own pork and beans, just happen to have sourdough starter all the time. Just a magnificent entry, brother!

Tell me more about baking the bread in a pan in the Dutch oven to get a crisp crust. I love the chewy hard crust on well-baked sourdough.

Thanks a lot Kathy! The bread is my adaptation on the various "No-Knead" techniques. I was doing a regular no-knead yeast bread for a while and just started keeping sourdough alive on the counter by feeding it daily. I found it works perfect as a no-knead dough. The gluten is formed over time rather than the mechanical formation that happens with kneading. I've probably got that wrong, but for whatever reason, it works well.

The enclosed baking is a function of the fact that no-knead dough is far wetter than kneaded dough. When baked in a preheated, closed vessel it steams itself and creates a wonderful crust. Most recipes call for cooking in a covered stock pot or dutch oven, but I started putting a small loaf pan in my dutch oven last year and found it works amazingly well.

Here's a starting point..

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=2

I have been meaning to make that no-kneed dough for like the last 3 years but still haven't got around to it. Had it at a friend's place for thanksgiving and thought it was some of the best bread I've ever had. Your entry is the impetus I need to finally make it.

Not trying to hijack, but "no knead" bread is super-easy to make and ends up very flavorful due to the drawn out fermentation. I just made a loaf earlier today. The NY Times article linked only has measurements by volume. I try to go by weight whenever I can for baking, and those measurements for Lahey's recipe translate to around:

400g flour
8g salt
1g yeast
300g water

It's worth trying if you're interested in baking bread.

Brother Matt, that was an amazing "from-scratch" entry!

Back