THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nothing says Kentucky like ribs

tried the dixie meat rub on one of these racks and need less to say I will be using it again
3 2 1 200 to 235 and here it is
Untitled.jpg

RIBS11.png

RIBS12.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Jay Lo loved them
JAYLOANDMYRIBS.png

and once the word got out well what can I say
RIBSONFORBES.png

tried the dixie meat rub on one of these racks and need less to say I will be using it again
3 2 1 200 to 235 and here it is
Untitled.jpg

RIBS12.jpg

Good lord brother, what the fark are you guys feeding your pigs down there?!!! Big Block, large and in charge with the farking giant ribs. Nice! :thumb:

Al's Kentucky Derby Burgoo...

Like Biggie, I had no idea what was appropriate food for the Kentucky Derby so I did a quick search... Low and behold, I stumbled upon some thing called Burgoo :shocked:.
Burgoo-

Date: 1700's
1 : oatmeal gruel or thick porridge chiefly used by seamen; loblolly
2 : hardtack and molasses cooked together
3 a : U.S., a stew or thick soup of meat and vegetables orig. served at outdoor gatherings in Southern States - Also a favorite at the Kentucky Derby.

The first two didn't sound too tasty, but number three fit the bill (especially after I added the last part :heh:). Truth be told, I didn't need to add it as will be seen below.

What is Burgoo?
Burgoo is a soup or stew made from meats and vegetables. Historically it was cooked outdoors in iron kettles over an open wood fire; cooking would take 12 hours or more.

Burgoo and the Kentucky Derby

burgook.jpg

"Burgoo King," Winner of 1932 Kentucky Derby, "Bred in Old Kentucky" A little trivia: “Kentucky Burgoo” is the celebrated stew which is served in Kentucky on Derby Day, at Political Rallies, Horse Sales and other outdoor events. Mr. J. T. Looney, of Lexington, is one of Kentucky’s most famous Burgoo-makers and it was for him that Mr. E. R. Bradley named his 1932 Kentucky Derby winner “Burgoo King”. The blanket of roses designed in 1931, by Mrs. Kingsley Walker for the Kentucky Derby winner was first worn in 1932 by “Burgoo King”. Burgoo King, chestnut colt, by Bubbling Over - Minawand by Lonawand, Winner 1932 Kentucky Derby and Preakness. His sire, Bubbling Over, won Kentucky Derby in 1926. Owned by Col. E.R. Bradley, Idle Hour Farm, Lexington, Ky.

Ok... Enough background. On to the cook. I couldn't find any classic ingredients like mutton or rabbit, and out of respect to Ninja I decided against using squirrel. After rooting around in the freezer, I ran across some frozen vacu sucked brisket point and pulled pork. Needing one more meat for the trifecta, I decided to go with yard bird.

Here is the brisket point and pulled pork:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I had to grill up the chicken:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Veggies for the Burgoo:
edit_preview.php

Spuds, onion and garlic in the CI dutch oven:
edit_preview.php

The Burgoo recipe calls for the meat trifecta to be boiled :shocked: but that's not how we roll on the Czervik ranch so I chopped up the beef, pork and chicken after SMOKING and or GRILLING it:
edit_preview.php

Some leftover homegrown tomato/green pepper sauce from last year's garden:
edit_preview.php

Everyone in the pool:
edit_preview.php

After about two hours simmering on low:
edit_preview.php

The money shot served up with some green chili/cheddar cornbread and the mandatory mint julep:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Thanks for looking. :mrgreen:

Back