Southern Brethren and Mobile, Alabama

Party! For me is relative :D

Thursday has a pre-paid seafood dinner, etc. Friday and Saturday I'll be too wired to party and by Saturday night I'll be ready to collapse.

However, getting to compete, meeting old friends and making some new ones will make the effort worthwhile!!

Thanks for the good wishes!

I spoke to Mike from Woodhouse yesterday. He asked me to go with him to Mobile cause his guys can't get off work. He is going by him-self thats a long solo drive. I wish I could go I am just too busy at work... Mike is a good guy and has helped me alot with anything I ask.. I wish Woodhouse(Mike) the best of luck in Mobile...

smokincracker said:
I spoke to Mike from Woodhouse yesterday. He asked me to go with him to Mobile cause his guys can't get off work. He is going by him-self thats a long solo drive. I wish I could go I am just too busy at work... Mike is a good guy and has helped me alot with anything I ask.. I wish Woodhouse(Mike) the best of luck in Mobile...
Is he having to cook alone or just travel alone?
DF and I will check on him. May be able to help with set-up, tear down, and heavy stuff.
We wish him good luck also:
Reserve Champ would be perfect (right behind us) :lol:
TIM

Tim and Dave called tonight. Worn out but alive.

Heres what I got from the conversation. They will give specifics in the AM. They placed midfield overall out of about 90 teams. Best was 17th in chicken and top third in butts and ribs. Had a timing issue with brisket and places a little lower downfield. Seems its hangtime at 140 was a little longer than anticiapted. They will be here tomorrow to give us the rundown.

Well, I am home and DF is still on the road to ClearWater.
So--I get to go first. :lol: :lol:

Mobile was a BLAST!
Ever had a Farking parade down your street while you are trying to enjoy some early (and precious) naps in the RV on a Friday night?
Ever try to sleep with sirens from Police Cruisers and Fire Trucks going off 100' away :twisted:
We did it--it's called FOCUS :lol:
We felt like we were at the Royal or the JD!
83 PRO teams--almost the entire "Who's Who" of the BBQ world.
Guys (and Top Chicks) that we only read about in the news or see on Food Network :lol:
One team had a $400K RV for comfort and then added "cookers and support equipment" that cost more than my house :lol:
Teams with "color and theme coordinated outfits" to match their "decor".
Mobile was the National BBQ News "event of the year"- so you can read the details there.

Our results were just as PooBah said.
We came real close on chicken, just a tick out of the money at 17th (paying 15 places).
Our personal assessment of our entries pretty well matched the Judges in terms of placement ranges. "We be happy" :lol:
Looking at the results, lots of Super Stars above us--but many below in all catagories.
Likewise, plenty of "unknown teams" above and below us.

And as to the "crapshoot scoring" theory--we were placed in the "scoring range" that we felt we earned for this meet. Scoring becomes a "crapshhot" as to how we scored withing that "range"--we have no problem with the results!
Sure, a move of only move a point or two by any Judge could have moved us several (or many) places. Our lowest single scores were a "6" in a few places-KEWL in the current scoring environment :lol: :lol:
But, Judging is a human endeavor and as long as our "stuff" is scored in a "range" of scores that agrees with our personal assessment--we are happy!
We did our job and the Judges did theirs--we are comfortable with that!

Interesting to note that the Grand and the Reserve Champs were both FBA teams! Tough damn circuit, but developing into a great one.
I have some comments on Woodhouse and HomeBBQ, but I will put them into the proper thread.
Also, some other "lessons learned" about things (such as desset competetions) that I/we may post in different threads--just too much info for now.

DF and I will be taking a break from Competetion to let our bank balances recover.
We gave it our best shot and got better each time.
But, competing is "resource intensive" and we need to re-group a bit.
This is strictly a $$ decision--not an emotional one. We improved at each event, but just not enough $$ to keep it up us going long enough for winnings or sponsorship $$ to help out.

PURE BUSINESS--that is all.

To be "mid pack" in the Mobile field is an honor!

In the interim, we are going to stay active as FBA (and maybe KCBS) Judges, try to "mooch" some time tending fires and stiring sauce for the FBA teams that have become a part of our life, and refine our skills.

We are "at peace' with that!

For the Brothers that have considered competeting--just "go do it"!
You will learn so much and meet the best folks on the planet.
Just do not expect to break into the $$, walk the stage, or get rich.
We never did that, but even getting financially self- sufficient is a challenge.
We set much more modest goals, and (believe me) even modest goals are tough with the quality of the experienced teams competeting.

The "Real Pros" are the "Peal Pros" for a reason--they are damn good cooks and consistant.
My hat is off to them.

Thanks for all the support as we pursued this adventure--so much fun-- and so rewarding.

TIM

Thanks Tim. Sounds like you and Dave have a great time enjoying Q and isn't that what is really all about?

Neil said:
Thanks Tim. Sounds like you and Dave have a great time enjoying Q and isn't that what is really all about?
Neil--I hear what you are saying, but--NOPE!
Competetion is a whole different world!.
Business first and then- hopefully--fun :lol:
Now, if you can figure out (or have the $$) how to just "go compete" and not worry about $$, yes--just fun.
"Best Fun I have had with my pants on" :lol: :lol:

But, "fun" is a "by-product" of competing for most of us.
$$ have to come from somewhere :twisted:

TIM

I got in about 8:00 pm and unloaded the Explorer.

Tim pretty much covered it. Great event, well managed, 83 pro teams! Chris Lilly was there as were the Triggers and the phenom teenager Top Chick!

We got to visit with some Alabama teams and took a look at a number of cookers, comp trailers, etc. Kingfisher and Tucker were both there and it was good to be able to kick the tires on their cookers.

We feel like we coordinated our efforts better this time. Things went in on time, etc. It was super nice having the RV on site with full hookups - that meant heat at night, a clean toilet anytime, and a SHOWER each night. We're both pretty beat today but getting a nap Friday night, a shorter nap each on Saturday (early morining), and then being able to stay on-site and get some sleep last night made the LONG trip back to Clearwater endurable.

Like Tim said, we'll be doing some judging and schmoozing over the next months. I'm tapped out and sure hope there's an income tax refund coming!! :D

Details later if/when they come to mind.

Back