Sousvide Bacon-wrapped Baby Gator [pr0n]

Thanks all...Cooking and photography have always been natural pleasures for me. I've never really had real time to dedicate to either until recently. My cooking expeditions are leading to improving photo skills, and vice versa. Most recently, I'm learning more about taking control of white balance and exposure. I guess an equivalent bbq skill that I am also in pursuit of is fire management and temp control on the stick burner. Lots of fun. A little too much eating, tho.

jwtseng,

FAN-FARKING-TASTIC!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

That is a feast fit for a king! I'd be in a coma after eating that for sure! Love the pics.

Ed

Holy mudbug!!

That is a heck of a feast! Maybe about as good as it gets. I like gator but dang that absatively makes up for it IMnotalwaysHO.

That does look good. I'm curious if you eat the shrimp heads?

Absolutely YES! :fear:

I always try to buy the freshest head-on unpeeled shrimp, and if I'm cooking the shrimp peeled or headless, I'll still give the heads a good squeeze into a pan to get all the tomalley goodness out of it and saute it together with the peels...this makes for an amazing flavored sauce or stock.

For this cook, I purposely pinced off the shrimp tails to leave as much meat in the heads as possible with all the yummy tomalley. A quick dusting of flour and flash frying and the heads come out surprisingly crispy with the decadent filling inside!

u91jjJCh.jpg

I'd recommend cutting off all the sharp sawtooth unicorn bits and nose and legs before frying if presentation isn't a priority.

But to me, the heads contain the best part of any shrimp, crawfish, lobster, or crab...the green, brown, red goop called tomalley. Here's a pic I found on Google:

gallery_34302_4963_244594.jpg

I dream about dipping oiled and grilled sourdough in crab butter, lobster paste, or whatever you want to call it...

o.jpg

I found the above pic on Yelp...but I'm going to make my own this summer! I'll give away the tails, meat, and claws to anyone...just give me the heads and tomalley and my dreams...and a napkin, please.

Back