Sousvide Bacon-wrapped Baby Gator [pr0n]

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
There is a Cajun/Creole TD going on. As soon as this throwdown was announced, I knew I was going to cook a whole gator, because nothing says Cajun quite like gator, right? My plan was to get a whole skinless baby gator, dust it down with MooGloo, wrap the thing in bacon, and drop the whole mess into the sousvide in my backyard...

Yodx9tLh.jpg

Alas, baby gators are out of season right now (I am told), and even if they were available, the shipping and handling was going to cost an arm and a leg...a few fingers at least.

Not to be discouraged, I gathered a few Cajun-themed ingredients:

waj0HFnh.jpg

Made a remoulade with lots of leftover celery, parsley, onion and even older ketchup, mustard, and horseradish

PLxZvtPh.jpg

UrUICxyh.jpg

Shrimp taking a swim in crawfish boil

gmlzWKah.jpg

Oysters soaking in bourbon buttermilk

UgrDiygh.jpg

Some more shrimp sautéing in (lots of) butter with bacon, garlic, Old Bay, and Worcestershire.

H0lMduVh.jpg

Deglazing with a bottle of Abita Amber

glkuJiSh.jpg

Dusted some loaded shrimp heads with flour

YPHTARDh.jpg

Flash fried until super crispy

Drjt8Juh.jpg

Cajun Snack Food

u91jjJCh.jpg

I swear this is the only pic I have ever taken of grits cooking (chicken stock, milk, gouda and fontina cheese...brought to a boil on the Stok, finished in the smoker)

MGjuTtvh.jpg

Sha Cha Spareribs (Taiwanese BBQ sauce...made of brill fish and dried shrimp)...shout out to TXBronco

LAvtBNzh.jpg

It's no baby gator, but it was tasty

DfT5LPWh.jpg

Cajun BBQ Shrimp Over Smoky Cheesy Grits with Chicken Fried Oysters, Boiled Shrimp, Oysters on the Half Shell, and Crispy Loaded Shrimp Heads & Remoulade

TT0B8YUh.jpg

U8Ogfqzh.jpg

9bJ31BRh.jpg

Everything was cooked on the Stok and stickburner. The whole cook went really quick, but just a tad over 30 minutes. I'll consider this a practice run for the 30 minutes or less TD. Things turned out tasty-tasty...real finger-licking kind of food. I was going to take a pic of the aftermath, but I didn't want to mess up the camera. Gonna go rinse off and take a soak with the gator now.

Thanks for checking it all out! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

That is one outstanding cook, all cooked outside to boot...killer!!! My mouth be watering over here.

I was kinda let down there was no baby gator...

Then I saw the food you did cook and forgot about it. :mrgreen:

Whoooo Dang! Man that is straight up top shelf coon azz! :clap2: I am so glad to hear that this was just a practice run. It just so happens I will be up in Sacramento for work around the end of next week, and would like to offer up my services as a test pilot.

Again, that whole cook looked perfect.! Nicely done.

Good Lord, that looks amazing!

It's breakfast time here, but I'd be proud to tear into some of that right about now.

Well done!

Holy cow that looks amazing! I wish I lived closer so I could stop by and grab a plate!!!!

BTW, I don't see why you would need a baby gator. With a full size sous vide cooker like that, you should be able to do a pretty large adult.

Looks killer James! Holy Smokes!

I had to laugh when you said you just missed the 30 minute TD... The cooking part may have been 30 minutes, but the prep work....:faint:

Thanks y'all! It was a fun and fast cook...learned a lot about cooking in cast iron skillets over a live fire...things heat up a lot faster than I expected.

Back