Sous Vide Tri-Tip

CakeM1x

is Blowin Smoke!
Have like 5 of these in the freezer cause they went on sale a while back for like 8$ each(what a deal!). Decided to sous it since house duties took up most of my time last night and I haven't tried tri-tip in a bath yet...I also wanted to give my new Joule a go too. Anyways some pics.

Trimmed up
30914740275_62c4d583a9_b.jpg

Seasoned with oakridge santa maria. Into the bath for 5 hours at 130 degrees
30914740175_f52ac21d56_b.jpg

Seared
30914739885_8f581edae6_b.jpg

Sliced up
30878761956_c875e2e06d_b.jpg

30914739165_7ed58e412b_b.jpg

30826877121_608dab17ec_b.jpg

30914739325_d1b94b0999_b.jpg

Sorry no plated shot. I was lazy and both camera and phone were downstairs. I served this with a balsamic reduction sauce along with a baked tater and some butter garlic beans. Everyone who cooks should own a sous vide. Brainless perfection. Thanks for lookin'!

Looks absolutely beautiful!

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!

How was the flavor? I love how the meat comes out when I use my Sous Vide with regard to appearance and uniform doneness. Seems to be lacking in flavor though. Not as much of that infamous "Maillard Reaction" that I love so much.

Looks absolutely beautiful!

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!

How was the flavor? I love how the meat comes out when I use my Sous Vide with regard to appearance and uniform doneness. Seems to be lacking in flavor though. Not as much of that infamous "Maillard Reaction" that I love so much.

The flavor was great. It didn't have as much smoke flavor from the short grill time as to be expected. If you feel SV is lacking in mallard reaction I recommend CI sear while spooning the fat over the meat.

Nailed it! Can almost feel the chew just looking at your pics. How do you like the Joule? Oh...and how long/temp did you do the tritip?

Cooked to perfection! Also, was the meat USDA Choice or prime? Sure looks like Prime!

Nailed it! Can almost feel the chew just looking at your pics. How do you like the Joule? Oh...and how long/temp did you do the tritip?
Joule is great only wish it had a physical interface instead of app but it's not that big of a deal for me. I wanted a sous vide machine in our kitchen area that is small and can pull out for small cooks. I'll use the anova for long ones in my basement. Also wanted the option to do a meat and veg sous if I wanted to. I did 131 for 6 hours. Turned out great, wouldn't change a thing on the temp/time.

Cooked to perfection! Also, was the meat USDA Choice or prime? Sure looks like Prime!

Wish I knew Moose. These were frozen in the managers special bin. No grade on them and they were like 7-8$ a piece so I bought 5 of them at the time. I just looked at the non fatcap side for the most marbling. But yeah this had to be prime grade the marbling was the best I've seen on a tri-tip.

Back