THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I picked up a Inkbird sous vide for a price I couldn't resist in the last year or two here on the forum. I've really enjoyed using it so far. I decided to try some roast beef with it. I went 19 hours with it and it preformed without a hiccup. A couple pictures along the way...

I went with the sous vide cooler container hack. I've always clipped the sous vide to a big stock pot. I was worried about too much water evaporating with the beef going 18+ hours with no lid on the stock pot. The cooler ended up working out like a champ. Little to no water evaporated.

PXL-20210302-194954115.jpg

PXL-20210303-131001715.jpg

I took the torch to it hoping to get a crust on it.
PXL-20210303-132405583.jpg

I was hoping for a little more pink but I'll take the blame as I pan fried for a few minutes at the beginning and the torch at the end.
PXL-20210303-165154431.jpg

Roast beef, provolone, sauteed mushrooms, peppers, and horseradish.
PXL-20210304-010857409.jpg

The sliced beef was incredibly tender. I'm going to do this on the smoker this next go around and see how the comparison is between sous vide and a smoker.

I use my Party Stacker for larger SV things too, and almost did the same mod since the cooler is so inexpensive.... then I got a screaming deal on SV balls. they work really well.
5gsrSQk.jpg

What kind of roasts are those? I do chucks for long cooks, but things like a tri-tip is around 3 hours.

Looks fantastic!

I usually just cover the top with tin foil on longer or real high temp cooks. Works well but I'm sure the cooler is even better. Well done. the veggis look really good too!

Looks great!...Love SV roast beef....I do an eye roast for 22-24 hours and incredible (dare I say Filet Mignon-like??)

Need a little more meat on mine. Looks great.

Thanks and yep. I made one roast for my family and the other roast for my parents. I pulled out the vacuum sealer and vacuum sealed a good portion away for me and my parents freezer. The amount I set aside that I didn't freeze didn't get me too far as I tried to save some of the sliced beef for the next days lunch. I had to go heavy on the toppings as I didn't want to open a freezer bag I just sealed.

I use my Party Stacker for larger SV things too, and almost did the same mod since the cooler is so inexpensive.... then I got a screaming deal on SV balls. they work really well.
5gsrSQk.jpg

What kind of roasts are those? I do chucks for long cooks, but things like a tri-tip is around 3 hours.

That the first time I've seen SV balls. I like it!

I went on Craigslist to see if I could find a cheap cooler to hack up. I had no idea that others used these particular coolers for their sous vide. She had two brand new stackers listed for $20. I asked if she'd be willing to sell one for $10. She said no problem. I go and pick it up and she said I could have both for $10. So that was a nice score! I'm glad she gifted me the other one as the clip on the Inkbird wasn't wide enough to fit where I originally placed the first hole. I could have made it work but that 2nd cooler lid came in handy!

*Sorry I missed your question earlier. It's eye of round.

Last edited:
... I went with the sous vide cooler container hack. I've always clipped the sous vide to a big stock pot. I was worried about too much water evaporating with the beef going 18+ hours with no lid on the stock pot. The cooler ended up working out like a champ. Little to no water evaporated. ...
No way I have the storage space to keep a dedicated sous vide cooler. IMO, though, it's not necessary.

Just cut a sheet of bubble wrap to match the inside diameter of the stock pot, then cut a hole to suit the sous vide heater. Float the bubble wrap on top of the water and your evaporation problem will be solved.

In my experience, the cutting doesn't have to be very precise as almost any ragged piece of bubble wrap covers a huge fraction of the water surface.

No way I have the storage space to keep a dedicated sous vide cooler. IMO, though, it's not necessary.

Just cut a sheet of bubble wrap to match the inside diameter of the stock pot, then cut a hole to suit the sous vide heater. Float the bubble wrap on top of the water and your evaporation problem will be solved.

In my experience, the cutting doesn't have to be very precise as almost any ragged piece of bubble wrap covers a huge fraction of the water surface.

That's interesting. Part of my goal was to get away from the stockpot. The downfall is the storage but it's really not all that bad. It's smaller than it looks.

Dang it! Now I'm hungry for roast beef!

Looks terrific! Will now be looking at roasts for a cook this coming weekend. :mrgreen:

Bruce

Back