Something new to smoke?

I got tired of the same old crap. So I bought a Blackstone griddle and pizza oven.
My suggestion is a new cooker, for new food :-D

I do find microwaved leftovers to have a much more smokey flavor. I cook mine over clean burning lump and still get a slight overpowering smoke profile when reheating.
Never noticed a problem with leftover taste the few times we had leftovers.

I do find microwaved leftovers to have a much more smokey flavor. I cook mine over clean burning lump and still get a slight overpowering smoke profile when reheating.

It could also be that when you are cooking around the smoker you sense of smell and taste become desensitized and you do not readily taste the full smoke flavor. After a shower and a good nights sleep your sense of taste and smell return to normal and you can taste more flavor and depth of flavors.

Bologna is always good, and the best thing is... it's ready to eat when you buy it, so you are basically building flavors.

H1FKJCp.jpg

If you go with meatloaf, try adding some sausage or fresh onion and garlic to your meat mix. It will keep the meatloaf much more moist. Oh, don't forget to add a topper of bacon.

G72HFOz.jpg

Speaking of beef ribs at Publix - here locally I can get them, but the way they're normally sold and displayed is all chopped up for braising (cut into individual ribs, then cut in half into shorter ~3" long ribs). BUT, if you ask the butcher for a complete rack they usually have them in the back.

They ain't cheap, but they're fun cooks.

1EPhAx5h.jpg

89P8m7mh.jpg

Ij84ljeh.jpg

VkVHOt6h.jpg

It’s not quite time, but I like to smoke chili in the Fall. I cook it on the stove for hours and then put the pot on the smoker for a few hours stirring every 15 minutes or so.

1bb92f021113bcb1b94524a4f4f9a53e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone ever smoke shrimp? I just bought 50lbs of fresh 15-20 count shrimp and thought about trying to smoke some.

I have not. How do they compare price wise and tast to baby backs?
I am doing a meatloaf this afternoon for dinner and want something for tomorrow as well.
Well baby backs are pork; so taste is completely different. I find beef ribs (back, short, dino, chuck plate, etc) to be like brisket but much richer for some reason.

Lasagna is VERY tasty when cooked on a smoker.

This sounds ridiculously good, man. Love it.

At a NorCal Bash a couple years back, Padawan, a Dutch Sistren, made a lasagna in a Pitmaker smoker. It took a while to get done, and we were all completely, burstingly, uncomfortably full from eating about 27 tons of amazing BBQ and sides. We still ate just about the whole farking thing. :shocked:
It was spectacular and utterly worth being like Mr. Creosote in "The Meaning of Life".

MrCreosote.jpg

AV8, if your grocery sells the little short individual short ribs on a styrofoam plate covered in plastic, they probably get the whole short rib plates and cut them down. Just ask the meat guy for a whole Beef Short Rib Plate.

My wife was at Publix and got a plate of beef short ribs. He said this was all they had and they put them off the ribeye so they don’t ever have many. She bought them so I guess they will have to do. Are the normally bigger than this?

Last edited:
My wife was at Publix and got a plate of beef short ribs. He said this was all they had and they put them off the ribeye so they don’t ever have many. She bought them so I guess they will have to do. Are the normally bigger than this?
Those are back ribs, a lot less meat than short ribs. Less cooking time, more time sensitive. They look meaty, though.
Thing babybacks vs. spareribs.

Back