Some Smokehouse Salmon

I see you have the proper coloration of the outside flesh with no fluid coagulation.Job well done as I`m both envious and salivating at the same time.

Seems to me there are many different species of salmon in the sea some farmed raised some wild caught.Some from the east some from the west.So maybe I should have been more specific.Here I will start over........."WHAT SPECIES OF FAMILY SALMONIDEA" did you use?(ORDER SALMONIFORMES) Maybe this will help with the answer.
Sometimes people get caught up looking at the pretty pictures here and don't read the text fully and then they ask questions to something that was already stated. It happens a lot, and your question was vague.

Thank you Jason, smokinit, and BBQ Daddio!
Nucornhusker that does happen sometimes. It's easy for me to read a post and miss out on half the info. :doh: then I have to go back and edit my post. :-D

Shoot, I'm even jealous of something I wouldn't even eat.

lol Jason, thanks! That made me laugh. I know you aren't fond of seafood. Thanks for the comment! :becky:

How long will it last in the jar? Sorry for the canning-rookie question....

No need to be sorry! It will last on the shelf for at least 5 years or more. I use most of my canned meats in one or two years but have used canned venison that was 3 years old. If stored in a cool dark location like a pantry or basement they keep very well.

Thanks again!!

Jeanie,
That was my wackie way to state my admiration for your skills.
Not a "begging" one :oops:

Your cooking is just too good for words.

TIM

Tim I know you were being kind... but I'm still going to send a jar to ya. :becky:

Jeannie I have seen you do this before and everytime you do it it gets better. What is the difference between kosher salt and canning salt I was just thinking about doing some salmon on a cold smoke generator. If you were going to freeze it how long would you smoke it for
Wonderful post as usual
Do you raise your Salmon like you do shrimp :mrgreen:

That looks great, can you tell me the ingredients of canning salt please?
Looks better than my Brine then smoke effort

Sometimes people get caught up looking at the pretty pictures here and don't read the text fully and then they ask questions to something that was already stated. It happens a lot, and your question was vague.
I guess that`s true yet smoking fish correctly if far more of a science and complicated than most realize especially cold smoking in comparison to land proteins.New to the forum yet not new to food.I see some abbreviations used on some of the posts that I`m unaware of and will have to learn and thats the reason why I was not specific on asking what species.(Plus I`m a fisherman and when we talk catches we talk species) I think I smell that Salmon from here.YUM!!!

Outstanding job Jeanie!!!
When I was younger....much younger we would snag salmon here in Michigan.
My grandmother canned it and we added a tablespoon of ketchup to ours to make it look like the canned salmon out of Alaska. My grandmother was a master at making salmon patties in the middle of winter. OMG you brought back some wonderful memories of my grandparents. I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

Jeannie I have seen you do this before and everytime you do it it gets better. What is the difference between kosher salt and canning salt I was just thinking about doing some salmon on a cold smoke generator. If you were going to freeze it how long would you smoke it for
Wonderful post as usual
Do you raise your Salmon like you do shrimp :mrgreen:

George, thank you! Canning salt has no additives or anti caking ingredients. It's also finer than most kosher salts... Some but not all kosher salts contain anti caking ingredients. When canning anything, I use canning salt, other salts make the final product cloudy. If I were going to freeze smoked salmon, I'd smoke it like lox or even hot smoke it. This cold smoked salmon isn't cooked when I can it. If you do, please let me know how it turns out for you.
I wish I could raise salmon! lol I've been thinking about trying muscles or fresh water clams. Wish I could raise oysters.
Thanks again George! :-D

That looks great, can you tell me the ingredients of canning salt please?
Looks better than my Brine then smoke effort
Thanks Titch! The canning salt doesn't contain anything else.. it's a fine salt and dissolves fairly fast.

I guess that`s true yet smoking fish correctly if far more of a science and complicated than most realize especially cold smoking in comparison to land proteins.New to the forum yet not new to food.I see some abbreviations used on some of the posts that I`m unaware of and will have to learn and thats the reason why I was not specific on asking what species.(Plus I`m a fisherman and when we talk catches we talk species) I think I smell that Salmon from here.YUM!!!

Looking forward to your posts here! I'm a fisherperson too. :-D

Thank you Toast and Sliding Billy!

Outstanding job Jeanie!!!
When I was younger....much younger we would snag salmon here in Michigan.
My grandmother canned it and we added a tablespoon of ketchup to ours to make it look like the canned salmon out of Alaska. My grandmother was a master at making salmon patties in the middle of winter. OMG you brought back some wonderful memories of my grandparents. I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

Mike thank you!! I'm really happy that this post brought back good memories for you! I bet your grandmother's salmon patties were fantastic!! :cool: :-D

Back