THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you for the kind comments everybody! They tasted great, just looked a bit odd. :)

I did some a couple of weeks ago and mine did the exact same thing.

I blamed Obama and moved on. :shocked:
Wow Joe, that's cool! lol Maybe it was Obama. :laugh::laugh:
Just noticed that you moved! You making your way out west? :grin:

Jen the ribs look great..... but I would have to go to Auburn University to veterinarian school to figure the bone situation out.... That one stumps me.....
Paul thanks, they were tasty! :grin:

Great looking cook Jeanie! How do you like the APL cookbook / recipies? I'm thinking of asking for his book for fathers day this year!
Thank you Troy! This is just my second cook out of the book. I made the pounded lamb chops and loved them! The recipes have quite a few ingredients and steps but the outcome has been great so far.

Never thought brown sugar and honey works well with beef. Did it make it taste candied? I gotta try it I guess, I'm skeptical though.
I was skeptical too! Followed the recipe and everything came together.
Between the mustard base, dry rub, foiling sauce and finishing sauce...there were about 20 ingredients in the recipe. A bit more than I would normally use but the finished ribs were great.

Thanks again everyone, you're a kind group!

I make my way to where ever will pay me. :mrgreen:

Being from out west (Arizona) originally, I guess I am about 1/2 home from where I was the last 4 years. Headed in the right direction.

If you ever move to Oklahoma, stop by for some froglegs. :mrgreen:

Great looking short ribs!

Did you use any sauce on the sammich? I am normally not one to sauce my bbq, but I did use a touch of APL's sauce he recommends from his recipes and it was well balanced and out of control good. I also tried it with some tennesse blues hog red and it went well with it.

The way I sliced it, I sliced the whole plate off the rack of bones and membrane. Then sliced the hunk of boneless short rib into pieces for sammiches.

The bones poking out of both ends happened to me on a few plates. I assumed it was from the membranes breaking down faster on one side vs the other and allowing the meat to shrink in that direction off the bone.

As much as I am an advocate of simpler is better, APL's short ribs are in my arsenal of recipes that I will always do every so often because they are that farking good!

Ok. There's something seriously wrong down on the farm. Ribs cooking in opposite order, while connected -And well- Have you seen Cowgirls Jurassic chickens? Just give me a napkin, no plate, no seasoning. I'll eat, but back in the truck getting out of that zip code really fast.

Be afraid. Be very afraid :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Great looking short ribs!

Did you use any sauce on the sammich? I am normally not one to sauce my bbq, but I did use a touch of APL's sauce he recommends from his recipes and it was well balanced and out of control good. I also tried it with some tennesse blues hog red and it went well with it.

The way I sliced it, I sliced the whole plate off the rack of bones and membrane. Then sliced the hunk of boneless short rib into pieces for sammiches.

The bones poking out of both ends happened to me on a few plates. I assumed it was from the membranes breaking down faster on one side vs the other and allowing the meat to shrink in that direction off the bone.

As much as I am an advocate of simpler is better, APL's short ribs are in my arsenal of recipes that I will always do every so often because they are that farking good!

I used the finishing sauce in his recipe, with the drippings and fleur de sel on the sliced meat. I toasted the bread slices, drizzled some of the sauce on the toast, added slice rib then drizzled again and added the parsley mixture.
These were served as finger food.
The ribs had great flavor! Will try making a sandwich next time. Thanks! :thumb:

Ok. There's something seriously wrong down on the farm. Ribs cooking in opposite order, while connected -And well- Have you seen Cowgirls Jurassic chickens? Just give me a napkin, no plate, no seasoning. I'll eat, but back in the truck getting out of that zip code really fast.

Be afraid. Be very afraid :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

:laugh::laugh:... Still have a freezer full of monster chickens! Waiting for an army to stop by so I can cook them. Thanks! :mrgreen:

which ones tasted better? the bones to the left or the bones to the right? :)
in all seriousness though
they look tasty

Good lookin stuff. I'm thinking that while in the wrap with the liquids one side got warm and loose on the left while the other got warm and loose on the right. So, when it came time to pull back they just went the easiest route. Other than that...I got nuthin'.

Also, APL Serious BBQ is THE best Christmas present I got this year. His recipes and ideas are different enough to make me wanna try them, but his idea of tasty is close to mine so I feel like the food will never taste bad to my tastebuds.

You should host a week long getaway for people to come down to your place and watch you do your thing. You could cook dinner each night for the guests. I would be willing to bet that you could excel at it.

Thank you all... I'm looking forward to trying more recipes from the book.

You should host a week long getaway for people to come down to your place and watch you do your thing. You could cook dinner each night for the guests. I would be willing to bet that you could excel at it.
Thank you, It sounds nice but might cut into my camping and fishing time. :)

Great looking ribs. :thumb:

The odd ribs must be because the cows name
was Magdalena Hagdalena, they even wrote a
song about her.

Magdalena Hagdalena
Ookatalka Walkatalka
Oka Poka Noka was her name.

She had two hairs on the top of her head,
One was alive and the other one was dead.

Chorus

She had four ribs on Jeanie's grill,
Two point east and the others pointed west.

Chorus

Sorry I couldn't resist that picture
just reminded me of that song.

Last edited:
Fantastic short ribs cowgirl!

I do have to ask about the mustard. I've never even tried it on beef and only once on ribs where the recipe said you'll never taste it after it's smoked. I guess it was all those bologna sandwiches I had growing up but I could taste it.

Could you tell a difference using mustard on beef?

Anything APL does is strange to me.But some of it works.Great job Jeannie!My short ribs always turn out greasy no matter how I cook em.

Back