THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

TwoWheeler

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
David
I’ve always rubbed ribs the night before a smoke - not for any other reason but that it’s one less thing to do in the morning. (I do butts and brisket ahead because I like to let them air dry in the fridge for better bark, but ribs get rubbed and wrapped).

Now I hear (read) you guys saying it makes for “hamsicles”. I’ve never noticed it, but….

So I have a rack of shiners that I split in half. Half got rubbed last night, the other half will get the rub (Oakridge Secret Weapon) this morning, shortly before go time. These are Amish Pig ribs and have in no way shape or form been enhanced.

Stay tuned.

I’m tuned in. This is very interesting to me as I’m becoming more salt sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to do all that the night before as well. Now the most I will do is get the ribs prepped then season the next morning. Looking forward to your thoughts of each process

I put salt on my pork butt an hour AFTER it’s been on the smoker and rub ribs immediately before cooking.
All for the same reason, I want to season my pork, not cure it. (And yes dry brining is a form of curing)

I put salt on my pork butt an hour AFTER it’s been on the smoker and rub ribs immediately before cooking.
All for the same reason, I want to season my pork, not cure it. (And yes dry brining is a form of curing)

I like that idea, but most commercial rubs (including Naturiff which I own and enjoy) already have salt. Does that require you to: 1) use only low/no salt rubs or 2) make your own? I'm OK w/ either I guess. You're a pro "rub maker" so thanks for jumping in on this one. It kinda confuses me a little...

I like that idea, but most commercial rubs (including Naturiff which I own and enjoy) already have salt. Does that require you to: 1) use only low/no salt rubs or 2) make your own? I'm OK w/ either I guess. You're a pro "rub maker" so thanks for jumping in on this one. It kinda confuses me a little...

I only use salt on pork butt. I will add some Q-Salt (fairly low sodium) in the vinegar ‘dipt that the pork gets tossed in at the end, but I want to savor the taste of smoked pork, so no other rub is used.

I might prepare ribs or a brisket etc., the night before as far as trimming, but I have never put rub on them overnight. To me that makes no sense, so someone explain this thought process to me. ASAIK, salt pulls moisture out of meat. That's why when you put a salt based rub on meat, after a few minutes the meat sweats and the rub becomes wet. Why, because it's pulling moisture out of your meat, which is the exact opposite of what we want. Why anyone would let that happen overnight makes no sense to me. As for trimming meat and then placing back in the fridge, I only do this in a sealed bag, as the refrigerator itself will pull moisture. What am I missing?

When I first started I done the night before , stopped doing that pretty early on, season and throw on the smoker or the grill depending on if smoking or grilling, prefer to keep the moisture in as long as I can, I want dry crackers not dry meat lol

The results are in.

Truly blind test. (I forgot which was which:oops:). Sample size: 2

Neither one of us could really tell the racks apart, apart from a vague notion that one had a more pronounced flavor of the rub. No hamminess.

They both came out really, really well. Nice and moist, no hamminess. Guess I just have an unsophisticated palate.

I apply the rub and then let them sweat on the counter until the cooker comes up to temp. Ribs, butts, brisket, etc. It's always worked well for me.
Yep, that's what I do with ribs as well, except I add another coat just before I throw them on.

+1 for Sirporkalot's Lexington method. The only thing I do different is add a medium/heavy coat of 16 mesh black pepper right before it goes on the cooker.

I might prepare ribs or a brisket etc., the night before as far as trimming, but I have never put rub on them overnight. To me that makes no sense, so someone explain this thought process to me. ASAIK, salt pulls moisture out of meat. That's why when you put a salt based rub on meat, after a few minutes the meat sweats and the rub becomes wet. Why, because it's pulling moisture out of your meat, which is the exact opposite of what we want. Why anyone would let that happen overnight makes no sense to me. As for trimming meat and then placing back in the fridge, I only do this in a sealed bag, as the refrigerator itself will pull moisture. What am I missing?

Yes, salt will pull moisture from the meat and mix with the other spices you spread on as a rub until a level of salation (reverse osmosis?) causes the flavored liquid back into the protein from whence it came, thus basically a form of flavor injection.
Ed

Back