Smoking with peach wood?

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding fruitwoods. I've always used "wild apple" or wild black cherry". If you are getting fruitwood from and orchard and they have repeatedly sprayed fungicides/pesticides on it over it's useful life, is there any inherent danger in using this wood for smoking?? Their is a peach orchard , down the road from me at the lake, and they sell wood but I've been hesitant about using it for that reason.

thoughts???

Good question, Mike. I will say that, I have had no ill effects on wood I get for free such as cherry. I am sure at some point, it was sprayed. However, I will defer to those more scholarly on the matter.

Myron likes to cook with his green and said the sap in the wood help flavor the wood... I went to his class a while back with some other good people here.

Yea peach is good, imo dont worry about water, water does not create smoke and all that moisture is no good for your fire. any fruit wood seems to be good, one of my favorites is Persimmon.

Thanks again for the terrific info. I'm smoking 3 racks of spares and some chicken on Sunday. I'll post pics on a separate thread. Can't wait. Couple rounds of golf with my buddies, then Sunday bbq with some ribs and chicken.

No one reputable smokes with peach wood. Matter of fact, it can be toxic. You'll want someone professionally trained in peach wood removal to take that off your hands. I'll be glad to do so if you need it. Actually, I see now that you're in California. You'll have to ship it to me so that I can dispose of it properly. Sorry.

Seriously though, don't soak it. If it's green, fine, if it's not, fine.

As the OP said Myron Mixon does. He's won a lot...

Think pecan, but a little sweeter. I ordered a couple of sacks of peach chunks from Fruitawood and have been very impressed with it, especially on pork.

I 100% agree with you about Fruitawoods. Phenomenal product and even better customer service. We get our Apple, Cherry and Peach wood from them and love it. Best price, fastest shipping.

Cant wait for the CA shop to open so we can try out some of the Red Oak.

I use it all the time, on every meat, in comps and at home. The smoke is so wonderfully sweet and it does not over bitter or over smoke the meats. My all time favorite.

I like to use peach/hickory chunks for pork shoulder on my wsm, but as others have already said, it's much better if the wood isn't seasoned, at least not by much. (If it is, I suppose you could just use a little more wood.)

At least on my wsm, like any fruitwood chunks used, after six months, IMHO peach wood is better used for ribs, and I like cherry or sassafrass better on chicken. I think that the peach is a LITTLE stronger than apple and cherry, all things equal, ie. moisture content, technique, and amount used.

Actually, I don't think I'd bother with getting peach from somewhere if it wasn't still green, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Back