Smoking Salmon

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all
Weber summit charcoal
I’d like to try to smoke salmon (like you get in a seafood town. Not lox).
Is this possible on my summit?
Any recipes?

Thanks
Mark

Hi all
Weber summit charcoal
Any recipes?
Thanks
Mark

I thought Summits were gas. Glad to see they also have charcoal models.

My smoked salmon video on a Weber kettle (charcoal). Recipe/instructions in description below youtube video.

smoked-salmon.jpg

Mine is their version of the big green egg.
Thanks for the reply
Does this recipe give you dried chucks of salmon that taste smoky or is it a way to cook the fish for flavor?
I’m looking to make smoked salmon that is dry not a way to produce undercooked yet smoky salmon
Thanks

Ive always used Alton Browns method of an overnight dry brine in kosher salt and brown sugar, then rinsed off and sprinkled with black pepper, and left out at room temp with a fan blowing on it for an hour to form a pellicle. Then smoked low n slow ( my Timberline goes down to 165F ) till an IT of 145F.

I like Salmon candy, so i use a 1:3 ratio of Kosher salt/Brown sugar.

Hi all
Weber summit charcoal
Any recipes?

Thanks
Mark

I missed your question too. You don't want cured and smoked, you want flavor smoked, aka hot smoked salmon?

So, season it up and cook indirect or raised direct. Never turn. When you see albumen it's around 140°, not quite done enough to flake. If you want it less moist, just go a little longer. Lemon pepper and garlic powder is a good start. I prefer skin-on, but if you have skinless, use parchment paper.

tnnpFcz.jpg

o1AkzHU.jpg

Mine is their version of the big green egg.
Thanks for the reply
Does this recipe give you dried chucks of salmon that taste smoky or is it a way to cook the fish for flavor?
I’m looking to make smoked salmon that is dry not a way to produce undercooked yet smoky salmon
Thanks

This recipe does not make dried salmon.
The salt/sugar brine draws some of the water out the fish and intensifies the salmon and smoke flavor.
But the salmon is still moist, flakey, and fully cooked to IT = 135F.

Sounds like you might be wanting a cold smoke where the fish is brined for days and then smoked at low temperatures (less than 100F?).

This recipe does not make dried salmon.
The salt/sugar brine draws some of the water out the fish and intensifies the salmon and smoke flavor.
But the salmon is still moist, flakey, and fully cooked to IT = 135F.

Sounds like you might be wanting a cold smoke where the fish is brined for days and then smoked at low temperatures (less than 100F?).

135F is still raw texture to me. Not that theres anything wrong with that. ( i love raw salmon )

Even my 145F is still moist and flakey.

I think OP should probably shoot for 155F for a more firm texture, yet still not too dried out. Anything beyond that is Salmon jerky.

Yea. I’m looking for what you buy in a seaside town that’s called smoked salmon
It’s on skin but appears fully cooked and tastes smoked
I don’t like pink/raw salmon so I cook to close to 150* at least

Any recipes?

Yea. I’m looking for what you buy in a seaside town that’s called smoked salmon
It’s on skin but appears fully cooked and tastes smoked
I don’t like pink/raw salmon so I cook to close to 150* at least

Any recipes?

I don't know what a "seaside town" smoked salmon is supposed to taste like.

I would suggest a wet brine in 1/4 cup kosher salt, and a quart of water for an hour. Then top with fresh dill sprigs and smoke on a cedar plank till 155F IT. Serve with a lemon wedge.

Good luck.

I tried smoking salmon for years. Recently went back to grilling. Much prefer grilling, as does my wife who likes salmon better than steak.

I’ve grilled a lot lately. None of it tastes good to me
It’s either bland or dry
I don’t like it pink

You sure this is "Seafoodtown" Salmon? I don't know of any salmon that isn't pink, regardless of how its cooked.

I warm smoke Salmon on my Large BGE @ 150 degrees Indirect Heat. I use Gores method for the brine- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar and a little more than 1/3 cup Mortons Kosher Salt. Try to take iot off the grill at 145. Comes out awesome

That pretty much is the recipe. I like to do about 3lbs of Salmon at a time. Sometimes I will get a a whole filet and sometimes individual filets. I make up a batch of brine- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar and a little more than 1/3 cup kosher salt- I use Mortons and put some down on saran wrap each piece individually. I put the wrapped pieces in a 9 x 13 baking dish with a piece of saran wrapped cedar plank on top and then put a large bottle of cranberry juice for Wt. I let it sit in the brine in the fridge for 8 or more hours. When I take it out I rinse it off and pad it dry, put it on a cooling rack and let it sit over night in the fridge to form the pellicle. I then brush 2 coats of maple syrup and put some freshly ground black pepper on it- Gore will use sesame oil and seeds on some of his filets. I put them on my Egg and try to smoke at 150 degrees using lump charcoal with some wood chunks and try to take it off at 145*. Look up Gores smoked Salmon. Also check out Thirdeyes blog- great tutorials.

I get the farm raised atlantic salmon- higher fat content. Believe better for smoking

Last edited:
Back