THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ummm... Have you opened the cryovac? That's probably two boneless butts in there.

I don't like cooking boneless butts, so I can't help on the question of tieing, but I would cook it at a minimum of 250, more like 270 until it is probe tender or the bone wiggles loose.

I have not opened it, but have read somewhere else that it is two butts. I really want a bone-in, but they had none. I am going to a real butcher next time.

I don't like cooking boneless butts, so I can't help on the question of tieing, but I would cook it at a minimum of 250, more like 270 until it is probe tender or the bone wiggles loose.

That could be problematic...

1.25 - 1.5 hours per pound is a safe estimate at 250

That's helpful info - it is not so easy to get bone-in shoulders here either...I must find a good butcher :wink:

I love loin of pork but there seem to be many recipes for roast shoulder of pork with bone in and out so I just thought a smoked shoulder would be an improvement on a roast shoulder!!!!
Just as an example of roast pork should bone out see the video link:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eZVwzdrDpMY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=eZVwzdrDpMY
One could note that it was sliced to serve and looked great.
John

I see. My apologies, I'm just now referencing your location. Here, pork "butts" or "shoulders" [which are whole shoulders] or "picnics" are almost always bone-in, to the point where I assume bone-in. My fault.

Like Ron said, one of the main tests for proper "pulling" doneness is that the bone wiggles free easily; a bit tough to do bone-less...

Back