Smoking pork butt

Ummm... Have you opened the cryovac? That's probably two boneless butts in there.

I don't like cooking boneless butts, so I can't help on the question of tieing, but I would cook it at a minimum of 250, more like 270 until it is probe tender or the bone wiggles loose.

I have not opened it, but have read somewhere else that it is two butts. I really want a bone-in, but they had none. I am going to a real butcher next time.

I don't like cooking boneless butts, so I can't help on the question of tieing, but I would cook it at a minimum of 250, more like 270 until it is probe tender or the bone wiggles loose.

That could be problematic...

1.25 - 1.5 hours per pound is a safe estimate at 250

That's helpful info - it is not so easy to get bone-in shoulders here either...I must find a good butcher :wink:

I love loin of pork but there seem to be many recipes for roast shoulder of pork with bone in and out so I just thought a smoked shoulder would be an improvement on a roast shoulder!!!!
Just as an example of roast pork should bone out see the video link:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eZVwzdrDpMY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=eZVwzdrDpMY
One could note that it was sliced to serve and looked great.
John

I see. My apologies, I'm just now referencing your location. Here, pork "butts" or "shoulders" [which are whole shoulders] or "picnics" are almost always bone-in, to the point where I assume bone-in. My fault.

Like Ron said, one of the main tests for proper "pulling" doneness is that the bone wiggles free easily; a bit tough to do bone-less...

Back