Smoking my first Butt. Advice appreciated

Here's the pron. The pics are from my cell but better than nothing.

Before it goes on

20120930_085651.jpg

Long wait and a whole bunch a beer in the meantime. I actually am on the last beer as you can see before friends and fam show up with more

20120930_165423.jpg

After 9 hours at 250* here is what she looks like before going into foil to rest.

20120930_180732.jpg

After an hour and a half of resting I pulled the bone CLEAN OFF

20120930_193451.jpg

After pulled it apart

20120930_194054.jpg

And finally I made sandwiches in rolls with slaw ( I know you can't see the slaw because I put more meat instead:mrgreen:)

20120930_195318.jpg

There were some plates made with other fixin's for the folks that don't like sandwiches but before I can take pics they gobbled it up. LOL

In the end it came out excellent, moist, smoky flavor, smoke ring and all. I'm satisfied with the results especially it being my first butt. Again sorry for the cell pics. Hope you enjoyed.

Those are awesome bro, good stuff. Was that butt from Harmony? If not where?

I actually took out a membership at Sam's. LOL $100 membership fee to buy two butts for $30 hahaha. I'm sure I'll shop from there in the future. Seems like Sams is the only place around here for a decent bone in butt. Actually Harmony didn't even cross my mind. It's been a while since I shopped there (service sucks ass there like you owe them or something). Actually the owner is pretty cool but the employees don't seem to like working there so I passed on them. BTW a lot of their meat is prepackaged and frozen too but they have good variety if the right person helps you out.

I actually took out a membership at Sam's. LOL $100 membership fee to buy two butts for $30 hahaha. I'm sure I'll shop from there in the future. Seems like Sams is the only place around here for a decent bone in butt. Actually Harmony didn't even cross my mind. It's been a while since I shopped there (service sucks ass there like you owe them or something). Actually the owner is pretty cool but the employees don't seem to like working there so I passed on them. BTW a lot of their meat is prepackaged and frozen too but they have good variety if the right person helps you out.

Ya Costco set me back about that much too. I called Harmony and asked about them Butt's and the guy was really nice, he did say they had fresh/not frozen butt's, bone in.

V-Wiz, just a couple of things. I use the Brinkmann and have had a lot of success with Butts. Below is how I do my Butt's:

1) Rub with my special rub the night before( I know overnight is not necessary, but this is the way I first did it, so I continue)
2) Place Butt on 250-275* smoker until IT reaches around 200*.
3) Wrap in foil and rest in cooler for around 1-3 hrs. depending on how much time I have.
4) Remove from cooler and pull
5) Serve as you like it.

I have done several, and have actually done the boneless one's from Costco. For the boneless I did NOT tie them up. I just put some rub all over them as well as the area where the bone was. I really like bark and having the bone removed just gives me more area for bark.

I do not inject.
I do not spritz.

Good luck and remember "If you're lookin', you aint cookin'"

V-Wiz, just a couple of things. I use the Brinkmann and have had a lot of success with Butts. Below is how I do my Butt's:

1) Rub with my special rub the night before( I know overnight is not necessary, but this is the way I first did it, so I continue)
2) Place Butt on 250-275* smoker until IT reaches around 200*.
3) Wrap in foil and rest in cooler for around 1-3 hrs. depending on how much time I have.
4) Remove from cooler and pull
5) Serve as you like it.

I have done several, and have actually done the boneless one's from Costco. For the boneless I did NOT tie them up. I just put some rub all over them as well as the area where the bone was. I really like bark and having the bone removed just gives me more area for bark.

I do not inject.
I do not spritz.

Good luck and remember "If you're lookin', you aint cookin'"

Thanks for the advice.

Have you LA guys tried Smart & Final for meat? I get butts from there and they're great.

I actually bought a packer brisket and it was great. I looked all over and couldnt find a packer anywhere and only flats at a few places. They had their First Street brand packers and Cattlemans Ranch or something of that sort both select and choice both at 2.62/lb . I obviously picked the Cattleman brand (choice) and I can say it was really good. Im not too fond of their inhouse First Street brand when it comes to meat to be honest. Ill def do the packer brisket again though.

Well thats good to know, ive always looked down on S&F for meat. Anyways i picked up a nice 8.2 pound butt yesterday from harmony. The butcher cut it down from 10 pounds and handed it to me. Should i add the rub 2 nights before or one night is plenty?

I was hoping i didn't have to do this but it seems like if i want to have the butt done by 12/noon/lunch time im going to have to start the smoker at night? midnight? Ive never done a overnight cook. Its somewhat freaking me out. Its a 8.2 butt, cooking at 275-300. Any advice? pointers?

At 275 an 8lb butt (if you plan to wrap) will take 7 hours, not including hold time.
Ideal hold is 2 hours.
Plan for 3 hours hold to give yourself some wiggle room.
Work backwards on that timeline.

Start the cooker at 1am.
Meat on at 2am.
Wrap at 6am.
Meat off at 9am.
Hold until 12.

At 275 an 8lb butt (if you plan to wrap) will take 7 hours, not including hold time.
Ideal hold is 2 hours.
Plan for 3 hours hold to give yourself some wiggle room.
Work backwards on that timeline.

Start the cooker at 1am.
Meat on at 2am.
Wrap at 6am.
Meat off at 9am.
Hold until 12.

Thank you.. I am planning on not wrapping. If any foil is involved its going to be in a pan (not covered)

I was thinking start smoker at 12
Meat on 20min after
Let it cook till its done (regardless of time)
wrap and hold in cooler for 1 hour.
Since im not wrapping how will this affect time. Thank you for the help.

Back