Smoking my first Butt. Advice appreciated

i smoked a butt my second time ever using the UDS....turned out excellent and everyone loved it....i wouldnt worry to much about getting fancy with it or anything like that......like most will tell you, its hard to mess up a butt! Good luck and lets get some pron feedback when youre finished...

My best pulled pork has always been rub, cook, rest, pull. I've never seen the need to inject a butt, I'm typically pulling fat/moisture OUT of the meat before I eat, don't see the need to add more juice before.

fat cap down if direct, up if indirect. If you like a thick bark, don't wrap it. If you like a more mild bark, wrap it around 160*, your choice. I like heavy bark, but that's just me.

As a couple of folks mentioned to you above, leave plenty of time. Sometimes those smokers have a mind of their own. Be patient with vent adjustments or you'll chase the temps up and down constantly. Give any adjustments 15 -20 minutes to respond as gauged by the temps in the cooker.

I'd leave the fat cap on and cook it fat down. Mustard isn't needed, lots of people apply rub directly to meat.

I like using zesty Italian dressing as a slather.

The one "extra" thing I might consider is putting the butt in a foil pan after 2 hours or so to collect the juices. Add the defatted juices back into the pulled product for extra yumminess. But it's not necessary.

I'm going to try the foil pan method that you speak of next time I do a pork butt.

The first one I did I cooked at 250ish and then foiled when it got up to 165 IT. Then cooked it till it was up to 200 or 205. Every one after that I have cooked at 275 to 300 and just cooked it till it was butter smooth when I stuck the probe in it. I then wrapped it for a little bit to let the juices settle and then I pulled it when it was cooled enough to somewhat handle.

I later changed to using strictly forks to pull it and it's much easier instead of my fingers.

I may do 2 or 3 butts this wednesday if i get time to freeze and stock up on again

Well i just left Costco and got a nice big Butt. It was $1.75pound, two butts in one pack equaling 13.75 pounds. The only thing is it is boneless, am i in trouble? Everywhere else the butts are $2.99 a pound with the bone. Any word?

Tie them up with butchers' twine. But before you tie 'em, you can take the opportunity to get flavor into all the cracks, and open areas to get more flavor to center of roast

If your roast is easy to splay open, by all means, put a bunch of your rub inside before it's tied down and cooked.

Once it's tied up, cook it like any other butt, only without the built in thermometer. When it's probe tender, remove and rest for minimum of 2 hours before pulling/serving.

Tie them up with butchers' twine. But before you tie 'em, you can take the opportunity to get flavor into all the cracks, and open areas to get more flavor to center of roast

If your roast is easy to splay open, by all means, put a bunch of your rub inside before it's tied down and cooked.

Once it's tied up, cook it like any other butt, only without the built in thermometer. When it's probe tender, remove and rest for minimum of 2 hours before pulling/serving.

thanks man, i saw you suggested that to someone else but im worried man, they say bone in is better? will i regret it?

Who ever regrets BBQ? Go with your gut, and what you've learned here at the brethren, and it'll always be great eats.

I actually like the idea of being able to get some rub into a boneless butt before it's tied up. If it were me, I'd use a zesty Italian dressing slather on it, get it all into the cracks, then rub it all down and tie it up. I think the results could be epic.

Im watching this thread closely as im planning to smoke my first butt as well. So far anything i throw in my kamado including brisket, beer can chicken etc comes out awesome and according to bretren standards. Btw V Wiz im gonna sign up at Sams Club tomorrow and they have bone in butts there i think about $1.70/lb according to their website. I know we dont have too manySams around the LA area but just an fyi.

Who ever regrets BBQ? Go with your gut, and what you've learned here at the brethren, and it'll always be great eats.

I actually like the idea of being able to get some rub into a boneless butt before it's tied up. If it were me, I'd use a zesty Italian dressing slather on it, get it all into the cracks, then rub it all down and tie it up. I think the results could be epic.

Hmm, you got me thinking there. Now i need to find some butchers twine. GRRRR.

Im watching this thread closely as im planning to smoke my first butt as well. So far anything i throw in my kamado including brisket, beer can chicken etc comes out awesome and according to bretren standards. Btw V Wiz im gonna sign up at Sams Club tomorrow and they have bone in butts there i think about $1.70/lb according to their website. I know we dont have too manySams around the LA area but just an fyi.

Hey, good luck, i agree, this website is like crack (not that i would know) but its like you have to try everything once you see it :clap2:. Where im at there are no sams clubs near, so im perfectly line with Costco, actually i get all the meat from there. I might visit a local butcher shop tomorrow just to see whats up.

Hey, good luck, i agree, this website is like crack (not that i would know) but its like you have to try everything once you see it :clap2:. Where im at there are no sams clubs near, so im perfectly line with Costco, actually i get all the meat from there. I might visit a local butcher shop tomorrow just to see whats up.

Thanks you too! I'm pretty seasoned in grilling but bbq/smoking is what I've been getting into lately. As far as Sams I'm actually lucky enough that there is one on my way to work. I got a long commute so there is one on the way and back. There are definitely butchers here with small shops and sometimes they just don't have it in their stock so at least I know Sams has it when I have to have it.

The Jackal has it right on the money. I've used almost the same technique dozens of times. I usually let internal go over 200 which makes the pulling even easier. Apple juice or white grape juice for injection and basting, and hickory, apple and cherry wood. It just works!

thanks man, i saw you suggested that to someone else but im worried man, they say bone in is better? will i regret it?

dude- relax. they are going to be awesome. If you want real BBQ style pulled pork (no offense to previous posters), skip the Italian dressing. lots of rub and lots of smoke is all you need.

you don't need to tie them, but you can. Boneless butts are fine. I PREFER bone in but i bet you anything that nobody could tell the difference in a blind taste test. Shoulder is so easy- you are going to kill it. I've done hundreds- bone in, bone out, faster, slow, whatever. They are always great and yours will be too.

dude- relax. they are going to be awesome. If you want real BBQ style pulled pork (no offense to previous posters), skip the Italian dressing. lots of rub and lots of smoke is all you need.

you don't need to tie them, but you can. Boneless butts are fine. I PREFER bone in but i bet you anything that nobody could tell the difference in a blind taste test. Shoulder is so easy- you are going to kill it. I've done hundreds- bone in, bone out, faster, slow, whatever. They are always great and yours will be too.

Thank budd. Im looking forward to it.

• Apply yellow mustard
  • Apply South Shall Rise Rub
  • Wrap in plastic wrap
  • Refrigerate overnight
  • Drop in smoker.
  • Spitz with apple juice every 1.5 hours
  • Pull from smoker when temp is 185 to 195
  • Let rest in foil for an hour.
  • Pull with two forks
  • Enjoy
:grin:

This recipe has been done on my El cheapo Brinkmann, UDS, SmokeMaster offset Pit and this past weekend on the new toy : WSM mini.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to crank up the heat. I did mine at 325-350 and it was phenomenal with a great crust and super juicy. I took it off the pit and wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours before pulling.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back