Smoking a prime rib?

busmania

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I’m having a party tomorrow. Will be cooking the usual ribs and brisket. My mom has a frozen prime rib (6-7 pounds) from Christmas that she wants me to cook. How would you do it? I’m thinking sear on high heat over a fire then smoke to internal temp of 125ish? What should I rub it with? What final internal temp should I be shooting for? Tips or advice or better method?

I think 125 internal is fine.

It's been a while since I cooked one, but I've had good success cooking at 225-ish until it is 125 internal, and not doing a sear. I get a nice outer crust and an even color through out the roast.

Do a search for Prime Rib and you'll find a bunch of options.

Dry brine, smoke to 120°F, sear to 128°F and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If I need to hold longer, I'll rest it in a cooler.

I've tried a couple SV methods for the cook, but didn't like the results. SV works well for reheating though.

I think 125 internal is fine.

It's been a while since I cooked one, but I've had good success cooking at 225-ish until it is 125 internal, and not doing a searr.I get a nice outer crust and an even color through out the roast.

Do a search for Prime Rib and you'll find a bunch of options.

Me too. In fact 215° is not out of the question.

BTW, at low temps that 6# or 7# roast will take 3 to 4 hours.

Smoking prime rib is amazing!

Season however you like...can be as simple as Kosher salt and pepper or as complicated as you want to make it. FWIW: Rosemary and garlic pair well with prime rib.

Cook at anywhere from 200-300 degrees until desired internal temperature (I prefer more of a rare to medium rare temp so I shoot for IT of ~ 123 degrees), then do a quick sear on a grill that's heated to as hot as it can go. Just looking to finish/mark on the grill, not cook.

https://bdaabat.smugmug.com/Prime-Rib/i-FWSJrbW/A

Let it rest for 10 minutes, slice and serve. DELISH!

Bruce

BTW: As was noted above, the finishing sear is NOT necessary. I just like seeing the grill marks. :mrgreen:

Bruce

Here is a lo-n-slo one.... no sear needed.

xbTfYxA.jpg

Excellent timing. I have about a 5lb roast I'm planning to cook up on Sunday. My first thought was SV and sear. Second option was reverse sear on the Egg. Now I"m contemplating low and slow, no sear. Wonderful!!

Dry brine, smoke to 120°F, sear to 128°F and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If I need to hold longer, I'll rest it in a cooler.

I've tried a couple SV methods for the cook, but didn't like the results. SV works well for reheating though.

What specifically didn't you like about the SV rib roast? I've started doing tri tips in the SV with an aggressive sear on the Egg, and have been preferring that to reverse sear.

What specifically didn't you like about the SV rib roast? I've started doing tri tips in the SV with an aggressive sear on the Egg, and have been preferring that to reverse sear.
Fat doesn't render which creates a texture I don't like.

So I picked up the meat from my mom. It has two homes that are tied onto the roast. Should I remove the bones? They were clearly cut off but then tied back on with twine. I kinda want to eat them!

Cook the bones separate. Tie up the roast so it is evenly round. Kosher Salt 1/4 tsp / lb
the night before, then your rub. Make a side of creamy horseradish sauce - you might be making sliders?
I like Amazing ribs.com ideas on this roast, the science, if you will.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts/

horseradish sauce -https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/secretariat-horseradish-cream-sauce-recipe/

I would smoke first for an hour or two, Wrap at 100F, finish in oven to 135F, let rest and serve. And when i say finish in oven, im talking 250F. If you go higher then that, its going to go from 135F to 145F in no time. Understanding radiant Temp is key.

Back