THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the wsm rocks for a beginner! its portable(you can take it apart and travel with it), its versatile(you can grill on it), its expandable(you can add another chamber to it to increase its capacity). it holds temp for ten plus hours on one load of charcoal using the minion method. it is used in many competitions, and designed for a charcoal fire so if space or wood availability are an issue its also great. you only need chunks that are redily available and small(and it doesn't use that many of those either, while still achieving great results)!
phil

kcquer said:
Except adding the Brinkmann waterpan.

Oops! Yep, that's true. I do use the Brinkman water pan if I'm doing brisket or butt in thew WSM... boils dry or you have to keep adding otherwise. BTW... line the water pan with heavy duty foil... clean up is unbelievably easy that way!

Ah, Racer and his sand thang!! As said below, my first was a Brinkman from Home Depot. Used it for about six months then gote the New Braunfel Black Diamond offset smoker.....Used that for hell I guess six years wher I learned to manage the fire, smoke etc (including the Hot Spot) as I did not belong to the brethren and never realized "mods" out there. Now Ihave the Bandara which I broke in New Years day slightly but reall got er ging this past Sunday. One Butt, 8 Slabs of Ribs and 6 Chicken Jalepino sausages. Smoked for roughly 12 hours (butt only the rest obviously came off way ealrier). Turned out really good and hey, The water bowl did NOT boil dry....Not even close....

There are plenty of mods that you can do to a WSM, but most of them are just for convenience. The Brinkman water pan is a must for overnight cooks if you are using water. Also, I really like the BBQ Guru eyelets that let temp probes pass through. (www.thebbqguru.com). I also plan on adding handles to the middle section and adding a gutter hanging bracket to hang my nutemp transmitters on. I'm also going to buy a second charcoal grate and wire the original grate, the second grate at a 90 degree angle, and the charcoal ring together. The two grates are good for using lump so the smaller pieces don't fall through, and wiring the whole thing together makes clean up a lot faster.

the good news is, however, you don't need to do anything to it if you don't want to.

I really think you ought to buy a very expensive pit. Look, you only go around once so you might as well go for broke. Get your dream pit NOW, why wait? I would recomend the Klose BYC in 24" pipe "If you can actually convince Dave Klose that you don't want a 20" pit" or the Gator Pit BYCC in 24" pipe with an upright of course? It's only a few thousand dollars. You would spend that going to Disney World!:lol:

kcquer said:
Except adding the Brinkmann waterpan.

I'm yet to mod mine, I was going to put a termometer in it and a bigger pan but I've found that sticking in a wireless remote thermomter probe into the top vent sorts out the gauge issue and I've never run the pan down, It takes longer than 6 hours to dry it out and by then I've popped more wood on and topped it up with warm water - Tip - A Wine bottle makes a good 'jug'!!!

I can't sleep when I'm cooking - The excitements far too much!!!!! :tongue:

I started with a brinkman. Used it for almost 3 years before I got my bandera. The brinkman was a good one to start with, but I was not part of the forum back then. If I had it to do all over again with this advise the wsm I believe is what I would have done. My 2 cents.

Back