Smoker Dilema (Lang, Bubba Grill, SF)

luvysbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
hello, I'm new to this forum.....have read for a couple years, but just now registered. I currently have a carolina pig cooker and it has been great for part time catering. I usually smoke my Boston butts 4-8 hours in two UDS smokers I built, then finish off on the carolina pig cooker. Everyone loves the taste of our bbq, but for some reason.....I feel like I'm cheating :). I'm looking at selling my carolina pig cooker and purchasing a rf stick burner. I've read on here about SF smokers and really like, but there is a 5-6 month wait and I cannot wait that long on a cooker (lost business). If money was no issue, I'd keep both, but need to invest sale of pig cooker into new smoker. I've been looking at the bubba grills and the Lang smokers. They have a Lang 60 deluxe long neck chargriller in stock, but would need to build the 84 deluxe (5 weeks).

If I went with the Lang, is it worth having the chargriller? I'd like the 84 for future growth, but not sure I'd pick the chargriller. I'd like to have the flexibility of entering local contest, one reason for moving to stick burner only.

BBQ Dilema going on here :)

Opinions please on Bubba Grills ( do not know the wait time on them) or Lang, and 60 deluxe with chargriller or 84 without chargriller? I've not had to turn down a job yet due to cooker size. I've catered church events for 200 people, but not had a HUGE event yet. Thank you for feedback, mike

Blessings, Mike

If it was me, I'd order the Shirley Fab and build another 2 UDSs in the meantime. when the Shirley is ready, sell the UDSs and the pig cooker. You'll be happy you did!

If it was me, I'd order the Shirley Fab and build another 2 UDSs in the meantime. when the Shirley is ready, sell the UDSs and the pig cooker. You'll be happy you did!

Yep! Just give shirley a small deposit, get in line NOW. You won't be sorry.

Thanks guys......really like the SF builds! My issue is the cash at time of completion if I DO NOT sale my carolina pig cooker. As I said, if money was no object (talking wife into this idea already) i'd keep both. I have no issue with cooking on the uds......but cooking the side items would be a major issue and warming sides up at event. I talked to Paul and the deposit would be no issue......it is the 5-6 month wait that is scaring me and sale of cooker prior to money needed! I forgot to mention, two folks are interested in purchasing now. One person only lives 30 minutes away and may be willing to rent the carolina pig cooker back to me until the SF is ready. That would be the ideal scenario, but not sure if they will pull the plug and purchase.

Last edited:
Are you saying you are worried about selling your current setup before the SF is ready (too early) or worried about not selling it in time (too late)? I am sure Paul will hold it for you.

Are you saying you are worried about selling your current setup before the SF is ready (too early) or worried about not selling it in time (too late)? I am sure Paul will hold it for you.

Both :)

I could swing the cash out of savings, but would rather not ......Trying to keep wife happy). I would already need to add a couple thousand to what I'll get out of the pig cooker. I've also thought about sending profits off jobs in advance to Paul if I kept the pig cooker until cooker was ready.

Noticed several have them on order here, what kind are you ordering? I was looking at a 65 or 70 cabinet (cannot decide on cabinet or round) with insulated firebox, burner up front, extra rack in warmer, wood storage, extra damper and thermometers.

I like the Lang 84 deluxe as well!

Both :)

I could swing the cash out of savings, but would rather not ......Trying to keep wife happy). I would already need to add a couple thousand to what I'll get out of the pig cooker. I've also thought about sending profits off jobs in advance to Paul if I kept the pig cooker until cooker was ready.

Noticed several have them on order here, what kind are you ordering? I was looking at a 65 or 70 cabinet (cannot decide on cabinet or round) with insulated firebox, burner up front, extra rack in warmer, wood storage, extra damper and thermometers.

I like the Lang 84 deluxe as well!
paul makes some killer looking 30x80 models. but i would for sure go with cabinet doors.

Go with the Shirley and work out the details over the wait period. I bought a 30x80 from while also considering a Bubba and Lang. I got more cooker for less money. It was worth every second of the wait.

This is Inez...
7612499E-D919-43D3-8809-DF0D5C7A7920.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

it is the 5-6 month wait that is scaring me

That would be deal killer for me. There's nothing in this world I'd wait 5-6 months for..... well maybe something but certainly not a cooker. Way too many cookers to be had in less than 6 month's time if not instantly.

• Thanks
Reactions: kpq
Keep your eye on Craigslist and the General Sales forum on BBQ Brethren. That's how I got my Shirley - the exact one I was going to have them build for me. And they ARE worth the wait!

If I were you I would bite the bullet on the wait of the SF and order today. There is no making up for quality and performance if you decide to settle for what you know is not right for you. Besides in the big scheme of thing waiting and extra 4 mouths will be small after years of great performance from the SF.

I have sold three smokers via this site in less than 1 week of the time listed. As long as you are asking a good price on the CPC, you should be fine.

5-6 months is nothing when it compares to making the right LONG term decision. You are doing this for business, so every dollar spent figures into your ROI.

I was in the same boat as you. I needed to move up and looked at Lang and SF. I ended up going with the SF. Yea, it's a wait. But you know what, that gives me 5 months to save for that pick up at end. So budget a little savings in every month. Than you could end up with both!

I have a Lang 60 deluxe and it's a GREAT smoker. I needed something bigger and I just bought a used Bubba grill 250 R with rib box and I'm very impressed with the temperature balance from front to back and in the rib box. You owe it to yourself to call Lonnie Smith at Bubba Grills. He had several new units in the yard when I went to pick mine up and can custom build within 20 days.

No question about it. The others are quality smokers but the Shirley's go above and beyond for service and value!

Buy a Lang, use it until the Shirley is ready, and the resell the Lang. :p

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I love my Lang 84 though. One thing I would recommend is that no matter which one you go with, make sure you have a warming box that will accomodate the large aluminum pans, not just the small ones. You'll be glad you did.

Great advice. I'll note that my SF 30x80 will hold two of the large pans per rack in the warmer...perfect fit.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I love my Lang 84 though. One thing I would recommend is that no matter which one you go with, make sure you have a warming box that will accomodate the large aluminum pans, not just the small ones. You'll be glad you did.

My Lang 60 will is coming up on 10 years, and has been a wonderful smoker. However, all three makers have wonderful products. If Lonnie or Ben Lang has one ready, I wouldn't hesitate to make that drive.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cookers that you are looking at.
I have two Langs and love them. Other than the pics posted here, I haven't or seen a SF smoker, but they are sure good looking pits.

Good luck with your choice.

Back