SmokeFire issues solved!

DarkStar11

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Started going through the process of replacing the thermocouple today, which requires completely disassembling the grill, including removal of the pellet hopper. I couldn't identify the location of a screw in the picture-instructions, so I called Support. After the support rep said he couldn't view the same instructions I was looking at, I got frustrated and expressed my displeasure with this thing and the troubleshooting that has been going on for many months.

Weber is is refunding my money for the grill and its accessories, and is sending someone to haul it away. Not the outcome I was hoping for, but I am pleased with it. I have to hand it to them, they do have great customer service. Hopefully someday they get the bugs worked out of the SmokeFires, because it has great potential - as evidenced by the Brethren here who have had great success with their grills.

Last edited:
Has the SF been on the market for over a year already? Yikes.

Once the smoke clears (no pun intended) I'd love to hear an after action report on what went wrong with the R&D/Design/Manufacture of this thing.

It's weird how some have problems and others don't. My smokefire has been great since I got it last July. You see the same thing in the Facebook groups. Some guys have a lemon and others a great cooker. Just weird.

Once the smoke clears (no pun intended) I'd love to hear an after action report on what went wrong with the R&D/Design/Manufacture of this thing.

The guy at the grill place where I bought mine told me they had the thing in development for over five years…and very shortly after they hit the market, he got notice from Weber to ship all the ones he had, back.

I’m guessing Marketing and Accounting made a lot of the decisions. Weber is starting to smell like yet another company that’s trading on a name and a reputation.

My GreaseFire is nowhere near as well designed and built as my Genesis.

How is the issues solved? I would have took that pos back to where i bought it the next day. The Smoke Fire still has the issues, but apparently Weber refunds and makes you send it back rather the actually "FIX" the issues.
Kinda click bait thread. People that don't know how to thoroughly read threads will go and buy this thing thinking the "issues are solved!"

Last edited:
How is the issues solved? I would have took that pos back to where i bought it the next day. The Smoke Fire still has the issues, but apparently Weber refunds and makes you send it back rather the actually "FIX" the issues.
Kinda click bait thread. People that don't know how to thoroughly read threads will go and buy this thing thinking the "issues are solved!"

I reckon the title should have been "MY SmokeFire Issues Solved!" I wasn't trying to make "clickbait" - I was simply happy that there is finally resolution to my particular situation with this grill that has been going on for many months. And I'm not sure "clickbait" is even a thing on a forum post that doesn't lead to a monetized YouTube video or something, but whatever dude.

I reckon the title should have been "MY SmokeFire Issues Solved!" I wasn't trying to make "clickbait" - I was simply happy that there is finally resolution to my particular situation with this grill that has been going on for many months. And I'm not sure "clickbait" is even a thing on a forum post that doesn't lead to a monetized YouTube video or something, but whatever dude.

But your Smoke Fire issues were not solved, rather Weber refunded your money and scheduled to pick it up. Your thread Title should have said, "Weber finally refunded my Smoke Fire Purchase"

Isn't a refund a solution to the issue ? There are probably several resolutions ... this was one of them. Glad things were resolved to your satisfaction. You certainly tried.

All I have to say to this whole mess is, I am sure glad I never got one. OH and glad to hear you were finally got to close the book on this. Had a similar issue with something too with the same outcome

Any plans on replacing it with another cooker? Whatcha thinking?
Not to take sides here, but I don’t think the OP was trying to produce click bait. Besides, even if he was, people have been making bank on social media doing the same thing. On top of that, if someone makes a decision by reading a title instead of the thread can’t get mad at anyone but themselves. But I can see the confusion based on the title. Either way, his issue is resolved because it’s gone and he has his money back.

Any plans on replacing it with another cooker? Whatcha thinking?

The notion was the SF was going to replace several existing grills - the MB560, the Rec Tec, and the Genesis. They are all staying and the SF is going.

Mine was a POS for the 2 weeks that I had it. One of those weeks was waiting for them to haul it away. Luckily I was saved by the MAK group buy last year.

Started going through the process of replacing the thermocouple today, which requires completely disassembling the grill, including removal of the pellet hopper. I couldn't identify the location of a screw in the picture-instructions, so I called Support. After the support rep said he couldn't view the same instructions I was looking at, I got frustrated and expressed my displeasure with this thing and the troubleshooting that has been going on for many months.

Weber is is refunding my money for the grill and its accessories, and is sending someone to haul it away. Not the outcome I was hoping for, but I am pleased with it. I have to hand it to them, they do have great customer service. Hopefully someday they get the bugs worked out of the SmokeFires, because it has great potential - as evidenced by the Brethren here who have had great success with their grills.

I'm just going to say it. Crap is Crap. No matter the Badge it's wearing. I will never do the pellet gig because I'm too old. Charcoal grills and Smokers still work. Good Luck Young Gun! :thumb:

Back