Smoked Turkeys - The Tradition

Love that! I've never seen that method of curing/smoking turkeys before. They look beautiful and it sounds delicious. Love the smokehouse - thanks for posting!

What finish IT are you looking for when doing this and is there any particular liquid you use when reheating?

Love that! I've never seen that method of curing/smoking turkeys before. They look beautiful and it sounds delicious. Love the smokehouse - thanks for posting!

What finish IT are you looking for when doing this and is there any particular liquid you use when reheating?

We have taken them to 165° but if frozen and heated later gets a bit dry. Ususlly go to close to 150° - 155° and let the fire burn out. ( I would not do this if not brined)

I have used just water in the past but used wine recently and it was good. I think apple cider, beer or other liquids of choice wouls also be good. It helps to keep the meat moist (a bit of steaming) and gives smoky juices for gravy making

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Wow that looks amazing! :thumb:

My uncle just brought 200lbs of Elk back from Montana that he want's me to smoke some of. I was thinking jerky. You have any tips/recipes?

That is absolutely farking rediculous, and off the charts. So was the BIG COOLER used for beer? Happy Thanksgiving Brother....:clap2:

Had to look that one up. Had a buddy use cheese cloth and got it too hot dropping turkey bombs on the fire!

I think I will band the wings in next time so they are a little more streamline to put in the roasting bag and just look more traditional

The way we do it now, we get the Fyling Bird!

They actualy take a long time 10 - 12 hours total. they hold at the 140° range a long time

I had to buy a 100 of them last year so if you want to try a couple let me know and I will send you a couple.

I had the same problem last year with mine stalling out around 140. I think mine was around 10 hours last year. I am only doing 4 in my smokehouse this year. I hope mine turn out half as good as yours did.

Great post & photos!

So you are smoking to an internal temp of 150-155 and it took 10-12 hours, approximately what is the temp that you are cooking at in the smoke house?

Great post & photos!

So you are smoking to an internal temp of 150-155 and it took 10-12 hours, approximately what is the temp that you are cooking at in the smoke house?

We bring it up to the 200° - 225° for a few hours then raise it to 250° and near the end 275° and close to 300°

It is a wood smoke house you have to be mindfull of the higher temperatures

Back