Smoked Italian Pork Shoulder(pron)

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
Today I smoked my first pork shoulder, skin and all. Prep work was easy. I cut off none of the fat or skin. I just wanted to let it ride.

I wanted to work on a more savory profile, for a hog roast I had coming up, and thought this would be a decent way to test out some ideas on a big piece of pork that I wasn't going to do much prep to.

First I scored the fat cap/skin about 1/4" , and also lightly scored it all over to give the rub and herbs a place to hide. I first slathered on some olive oil, and then coated in APL's Four Seasons rub(I subbed ground chipotle for cayenne.) Then I applied a herb mix of Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, toasted Fennel seed, Italian flat leaf parsley and Coriander.

Put it on the grate, fat cap down, indirect, on the BGE at 250. Cooked this way until temp reached about 170.

Once it hit 170, I put the shoulder fat cap up in a foil pan, basting every hour with a modified version of APL's Southern Baste. I also kicked the temp up to about 300, and cooked until it hit and 195, and probed tender. It then got a 20 minute rest covered in foil.

The results... Spectacular. Probably the best pulled pork I've ever done. I really enjoyed the savory emphasis over the sweet. The skin was incredible. Never tasted anything like it, but I now understand the term pig candy.

Here's a few pics. Sorry some are so dark.

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

Looks awesome! :thumb: I have a porquetta in the egg right now. The savory is really a nice change over the traditional BBQ style butt. Can't wait till dinner. :grin:

That looks really great, nice color. You didn't trim the cap, did all the fat render? I was always afraid that it would be too fatty. Looks like some nice cracklins.

When you did that light scoring, did you find a lot of juices were escaping there?

No I didn't really notice that at all. Since I didn't remove any fat, there was plenty to go around. It might have been escaping, but it wasn't enough to affect things.

That looks really great, nice color. You didn't trim the cap, did all the fat render? I was always afraid that it would be too fatty. Looks like some nice cracklins.

Thank you! No, it didn't *all* render. I wouldn't say it was too fatty at all. What fat was left was easily separated.

It could have probably gone an hour or two longer under lower heat and it would have, but I had some hungry people waiting to eat, and it was tender enough, that when I put it on my cutting board, I just mashed it into pieces. No knife or forks required.

I did pull off the skin sections, and set them off to the side for those that wanted it. And when I say pull I mean just loosely grabbed, and it literally fell off. I think my cracklins could have been done a little more, but the taste was awesome.

Wow, that looks good! I'm kinda liking the Italian twist you had going there, I bet it was as good as it looked:)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Back