THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

BBQ Bros

I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain and have been thinking about trying a deep dish pizza for the first time sometime soon. Any tips, tricks, learning experiences, recipes, etc....you can share? One of my fav books "Smoke & Spice", has a recipe that really only calls for 15-20 minutes on the smoker at the end of the process to smoke/melt the cheese a bit. Do you guys think it's worth the effort of firing up the WSM for only 15-20 of cook time?

I also have a Weber One Touch Gold, so perhaps it's better to cook one on that?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

+1 for the OTG. Here's one that I have done in the past.... great pizza...

http://bbq.setzler.net/2011/11/12/another-cast-iron-deep-dish-pizza/

JMSetzler - I just showed my wife your recipe and she demanded I attempt that this weekend!!! That looks amazing!

Two quick questions (i'm a newbie...) - what's the pizza stone for? does it provide more even heating than directly on the grate? also, is that a potato that you've got the probe in? why? thanks for your help!!

JMSetzler - I just showed my wife your recipe and she demanded I attempt that this weekend!!! That looks amazing!

Two quick questions (i'm a newbie...) - what's the pizza stone for? does it provide more even heating than directly on the grate? also, is that a potato that you've got the probe in? why? thanks for your help!!

The pizza stone is not really a requirement of any sort. I just put it on the grill and let it heat up with the grill and it gives me a good indication of the temperature. I use a simple infrared thermometer to see where I am before I put the pizza on. Definitely not a requirement. It may or may not provide more even heating. The cast iron pan is gonna heat evenly enough for this project.

Yes... I stick my temp probe through a potato if I have one laying around just to keep it off the grate. It gives a more accurate temperature reading that way....

Have fun with it :)

PS - I don't remember if I mentioned it, but grease the pan a little and douse it with some corn meal before you put the dough in...

Back