Ron_L

Administrator

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Captain Ron
Following the instructions from one of the regulars on the Egghead forum I decided to smoke some cheese to take to my sister's for Chirstmas snacks. I bought bricks of Swiss, Colby, Co-Jack, Mild Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar. I used 6 briquettes of Rancher with two chunks of apple wood on top of them in the Egg. I used a water pan filled with ice to keep temps down. The temperature held between 70 and 90 degrees for the 90 minutes that the cheese was smoking. The cheese tasted great. I think the Swiss was the best but they were all good. I cut each piece in half and vac-u-sucked them.

The cheese going into the Egg...
IMG_4470.jpg

The cheese after 90 minutes...
IMG_4473.jpg

The final product...
IMG_4474.jpg

Last edited:
That's great looking CoJack. I need to try some of that. Remember that the flavors will be a lot smoother in a couple of days. I could tell a difference in the stuff I smoked yesterday.

i wonder how they get that nice dark rind on the commercial smoked cheeses?

i wonder how they get that nice dark rind on the commercial smoked cheeses?

A spray of liquid smoke. I smoked some the other day and let it go for a little longer and achieved a darker appearance.

I did some sharp cheddar and some swiss yestrerday. Used 5 brickettes of kingsford ashed over and used small chunk of hickory and apple wood. Came out better than I expected and was so easy, I thought I might screw it up. Had it on for about 1 hr. Prety much followed the instruction I learned from here.

Lookin' good Ron...I have a few that Brian gave me the other day. Gonna try them in a fattie and a few ABT's tomorrow.

Ouch! I take it the Sharp Cheddar has the toothpick mod? Looks nice Ron! The smoked cheese I did the other day lets me know its there every time I open the garage fridge!

I gots to try that soon.

Do you guys think that the same procedure could be followed in a WSM? i.e. - 5-6 briqs, a couple of wood chunks and ice water in the pan?

whooohoooo! :biggrin:

i'm smoking 5 pounds of cheddar tomorrow for my first time ever

I gots to try that soon.

Do you guys think that the same procedure could be followed in a WSM? i.e. - 5-6 briqs, a couple of wood chunks and ice water in the pan?

I don't see why not. You may have to fiddle with the number of briquettes to keep the temp below 100.

Amazing I did almost the very same thing today on my spicewine. I cut the blocks lengthwise before smoking, put different numbers of toothpicks in each, to identify later. I used 10 briquettes and 4 small chunks of hickory and pecan.

I smoked some farmers cheese instead of mild cheddar along with some pepper jack baby swiss, ny sharp colby jack Went almost 3 hours at or below 90 degrees, with no ice used.

I will only get a taste Christmas day, the rest is being given out.
Dave

Back