THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just landed on the wrong table, they look great, love the sea salt base ! see you guys soon :p

We had fun with the oysters too, until we got our score sheet and saw they were 10th out of 12. I couldn't believe someone gave this a 5 for appearance.

In fact this was the worst we have ever done at a contest. We had a great time, but I am really at a loss over the results. Good thing it was just grilling. If it was BBQ I probably would be looking for a new hobby.

But again, after the contest we were again reminded why we do this. We were packing our stuff, and people kept coming over to offer to help us. Thanks so much to the Two Fat Polacks and Burke's Blazing BBQ teams who helped us get packed after it was all over.

And congrats to Brendan and Julie on the win!

We had fun with the oysters too, until we got our score sheet and saw they were 10th out of 12. I couldn't believe someone gave this a 5 for appearance.

In fact this was the worst we have ever done at a contest. We had a great time, but I am really at a loss over the results. Good thing it was just grilling. If it was BBQ I probably would be looking for a new hobby.

But again, after the contest we were again reminded why we do this. We were packing our stuff, and people kept coming over to offer to help us. Thanks so much to the Two Fat Polacks and Burke's Blazing BBQ teams who helped us get packed after it was all over.

And congrats to Brendan and Julie on the win!

You and me both, brother! I was right with you at the bottom of every category. I had way too many people hanging around when I was trying to cook, messing up the fairy wings and littering the new patio with beer bottles!

Here's a couple pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to Transformer. I had a great time and look forward to next year. Thanks to all who put in so much time to make this happen.

Thanks everyone. We had a great time. Certainly an event that has a lot of room to grow. Ben seems totally commited to making this event be annual thing, so hopefully we'll see it grow in the future.

I think it was the most I have been harrassed (in a good way), about wearing a sox hat... which I thought was funny since I thought that was Mets country.

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations and the same back to all those who walked.
We had a lot fun, even before the results. It was good to put a face to a few more brethren names to faces...

And Ted, awesome dinner choice on the way home, and your oysters I'm confused about too... I certainly liked them.

-B

Thanks everyone. We had a great time. Certainly an event that has a lot of room to grow. Ben seems totally commited to making this event be annual thing, so hopefully we'll see it grow in the future.

I think it was the most I have been harrassed (in a good way), about wearing a sox hat... which I thought was funny since I thought that was Mets country.

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations and the same back to all those who walked.
We had a lot fun, even before the results. It was good to put a face to a few more brethren names to faces...

And Ted, awesome dinner choice on the way home, and your oysters I'm confused about too... I certainly liked them.

-B

Thanks for the tickets, guys. Colin saw them today and can't wait to go to see arena football! He knows of the team mascot and is psyched

Congrat's to Transformer BBQ and everyone else!! Sounds like it was a fun time!! Just curios, in one of the pics i see a dumpster real close to where ya'll where cooking.......wouldn't think that is a pleasent thing...:confused:

Congrat's to Transformer BBQ and everyone else!! Sounds like it was a fun time!! Just curios, in one of the pics i see a dumpster real close to where ya'll where cooking.......wouldn't think that is a pleasent thing...:confused:
It was a construction debris dumpster that had barely anything in it. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum where the event was held is being restored.The event location was nice but a little bit out of the way. Ben did a great job with everything. I think he was very dissapointed in the public turnout. I hope it does not deter them from hosting it a again. I suggest everybody that was there competing, judging or spectating send him off an email with your thoughts on the event(positive ones :wink:) condrben@aol.com

It was a construction debris dumpster that had barely anything in it. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum where the event was held is being restored.The event location was nice but a little bit out of the way. Ben did a great job with everything. I think he was very dissapointed in the public turnout. I hope it does not deter them from hosting it a again. I suggest everybody that was there competing, judging or spectating send him off an email with your thoughts on the event(positive ones :wink:) condrben@aol.com

done :biggrin:

Thanks for the tickets, guys. Colin saw them today and can't wait to go to see arena football! He knows of the team mascot and is psyched

Glad you guys can use them, little too much of a hike for us. I think we gave Julie and her husband a pair too... so maybe you'll have neighbors you know.

And I'm serious about those shirts... if you have any in larger sizes (opposed to the childs Med you wear), I'd love to buy one. I could care less what the name is on it.

Here's the response from my letter...

Dear Julie and Skip,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we will endeavor to do this again next year at the same time. I wanted a good experience for all who cooked and judged, and it appears the museum accomplished that.

Just have to figure a way to get more foot traffic to the event. All patrons wanted 'que, but the Board of Health won't allow that, and the 'que restaurants I went to wouldn't even donate t-shirts! I have a year to work on that.

Thanks again for your support,

Ben

Actually the 5 in appearance didn't bother me as much as the 3 I got in taste on the oysters from another judge. Our first 3 since we started competing in anything...

Well, in my humble opinion, any judge that did not like oysters or was not sure in any way about them, should have recused himself/herself from this category.

(I know of one that did the right thing and switched with/became a table cap't for the last turn-in.)

Don't fret Ted, y'all did great and let's not beat a dead mollusk....:wink:

Actually the 5 in appearance didn't bother me as much as the 3 I got in taste on the oysters from another judge. Our first 3 since we started competing in anything...

We got a three in taste on the oysters from one judge, too. Mixed in with a nine and a couple of eights and sixes. First three ever for us, too. I expect a six or two when I try something different, maybe, but a three? I'd be interested to know if anyone beside Ted and I got marked that low. Maybe one of the judges just had a thing about the combination of oysters and green leafy stuff.

We got a three in taste on the oysters from one judge, too. Mixed in with a nine and a couple of eights and sixes. First three ever for us, too. I expect a six or two when I try something different, maybe, but a three? I'd be interested to know if anyone beside Ted and I got marked that low. Maybe one of the judges just had a thing about the combination of oysters and green leafy stuff.

I stayed well away from heavy sauce and tried to keep the focus on the actual item, the oyster, and was killed. Then again, I had 25 scores of 6 or under with many 4s. Then some 9s.

Who knows. The only person I blame is myself. The judges called them like they saw em.

Back