Smoke & Steam May 10th Oyster Bay, NY

Well the steam reference is there because The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is putting on the contest.

Very cool, rode the Oyster Bay line years ago and have a whistle of recent note that I can bring as well.:rolleyes:
Keep us posted.
Thanks.

Categories:

Chicken
Beef Steak
Pork Chop
Oysters

Email condrben@aol.com to receive a copy of the event application.

It looks to be a lot of fun.

They will have a band and the price to enter is reasonable.

I hope to see a Brethren sweep.

Eric

Categories:

Chicken
Beef Steak
Pork Chop
Oysters

Email condrben@aol.com to receive a copy of the event application.

It looks to be a lot of fun.

They will have a band and the price to enter is reasonable.

I hope to see a Brethren sweep.

Eric

Sweet categories! I can't wait.

Got the application today. Great job, Steve.

The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is pleased to announce our first ever-grilling competition to benefit and raise awareness of our museum in the New York area. Team grilling will be conducted on the Audrey Ave. extension and railroad plaza of the national landmark Oyster Bay train station. This event is to be sanctioned by the New England BBQ Society (NEBS) and will proceed, rain or shine.

Cash prizes and trophies will be awarded based on the aggregate pool of teams entered. Every effort will be made to secure additional prizes, if available.

Entertainment provided by blues/rock group Cadillac Moon.

Entry fee donations are $100, and are tax deductible as per New York State guidelines. Make checks payable to Oyster Bay Railroad Museum. Entries will be accepted in the order received.

The categories for this year include beef steak, pork chop, chicken, and oysters. Turn in times are as follows:

Beef Steak 12pm, NEBS rules and garnish
Pork Chop 12:30pm, NEBS rules and garnish
Chicken 1pm, NEBS rules and garnish
Oysters 1:30pm, Open garnish, herbs and veggies only

Please, no skewers or toothpicks!

Got a question? Contact ben jankowski at 516-318-6722, or e-mail at condrben@aol.com

take the train! Any well-wishers or visitors can arrive on the lirr at Oyster Bay and a short walk to the contest. Trains arrive at thirty-eight after the hour every two hours. Consult LIRR Oyster Bay timetables for further information

There are still slots open. It seems like it will be a good time. Friends, band, grilling.

Send Ben an email and we will see you there.

Eric

I had a meeting with the organizer this evening. Some very good news:

1) The time constraints have been lifted. Competitors do NOT have to be packed up and on their way by 4:00. The competitors area has been moved to an area where we can stay and hang a bit, so no rush.

2) The competitors amenities are building quickly and look pretty sweet. I'm going to demand a goodie bag for helping out. If you are a fan of beer, sign up. Seriously, sign up.

3) The oysters for the oyster category are being given to the teams gratis and are provided by a local purveyor.

4) The area is beautiful. It is about a block from Oyster Bay park, which is gorgeous. Nice neighborhood, nice town. I'm thinking that we could have a Brethren potluck dinner on the beach after if people are interested.

There is still room for competitors and I suggest that you sign up. It looks like it will be a great time and we hope to have it grow into a full blown BBQ event.

Eric

sounds fantastic Eric. Looking forward to it. We are signed up...who else is in?
nancee

Sounds like this is really shaping up to be a good time.

Not to start a discussion like last year's "What is a fish?", but does anyone have the official definition of a pork chop? Presumably it's being cut from the loin, but does it have to have a bone in it? How thick can it be? I looked on the NEBS site, but couldn't find anything.

I'm thinking very seriously about competing at this event. If I can ensure that I'm not needed on that day operationally, I'm in.

Team BBQ Illuminati.

We really should rename this thread.

Eric

Not to start a discussion like last year's "What is a fish?", but does anyone have the official definition of a pork chop? Presumably it's being cut from the loin, but does it have to have a bone in it? How thick can it be? I looked on the NEBS site, but couldn't find anything.
As far as i know it doesn't have to be bone in and any thickness OK as well.

Blade Chops, Rib Chops, Loin Chops, Sirloin chops, bone in, boneless,1/4 inch or 2 inch double cut. It's all good. The rules were meant to be simple and give you options. Don't over think it.

I'm thinking very seriously about competing at this event. If I can ensure that I'm not needed on that day operationally, I'm in.

Team BBQ Illuminati.

We really should rename this thread.

Eric
Eric you should.I think you need a perspective from our side of things.

Thank you all for the clarifying info on pork chops. I didn't want to have to scrounge up a butcher shop in Oyster Bay at 8:00 in the morning.

Eric you should.I think you need a perspective from our side of things.

Does anyone think that there would be a concern from some competitors if i was part of a team and still was assisting on the organizing side at the event. I would (obviously) not be judging.

And would there be any hard feelings if as a newcomer I won the coveted 13th place chicken?

Eric

Does anyone think that there would be a concern from some competitors if i was part of a team and still was assisting on the organizing side at the event. I would (obviously) not be judging.

And would there be any hard feelings if as a newcomer I won the coveted 13th place chicken?

Eric
I do not see a problem. To win 13th place chicken out of 6 teams would be impressive.

We are well past 6 teams.

As a side note, is anyone interested in a 'potluck' breakfast? I'm going to probably make up some breakfast burritos. Let me know if you are interested, so I know how much to cook.

Eric

Back