Contest Results Smoke On The Water - Hot Springs, AR - Sept 19 & 20, 2008

Richie, please feel free to stop by and take a look at the pit. We'll be getting in the night before so we should be there close to the time the gates open. We'll probably be seasoning the pit that morning.

You are welcome to come by our camp. Like I said before, we should be there on Friday morning.

Thank ya'll for the invite. We'll be over there for the majority of the week since we're doing a sort of mini-vacation over there and it also happens to be the week of my *gulp* 40th Bday. Looking forward to meeting ya'll.

I haven't received a judge's packet yet but from what I remember in the email, it said it wouldn't be mailed out until the 10th. That way people had until then to cancel.

I really look forward to this event though. We went to Smoke on the Water last Sept in Pine Bluff and let me tell you, the Cates family is a first class act and some of the nicest people you'll meet. We had a great time and we finally got to meet some of the brethren as well. It was a good time, that's for sure.

And while I don't want to turn this into a judging post, with all the recent postings about judges and certified vs noncertified and experienced vs inexperienced, I can tell you what I expect as far as the judging goes over there. Last year, I think there were actually 108 teams there (although I had heard 120). There were 134 judges available and only 10 of those were uncertified. We played musical chairs for at least 30 minutes getting all the tables equaled out as far as experience. All the uncertified judges were sent to different tables along with a master judge. All those with less than 5 comps (I can't remember how many exactly) also got dispersed equally to different tables. I had 5 at the time so I got to stay where I was. But I don't know how you could have made it any more fair. Not only that but I don't remember seeing any table captains doing double duty either as a judge. The only change I would expect is I would just about bet you that there will be all certified judges over there this year.

For those of you competing over there, just thought you might want to know that.

Congratulations Dallas on the new pit. Those things are beautifully made. I have only seen 2 of them and they are sweet.. Cant wait to see it myself so I know you are excited.
Good luck guys.
Dale

Check your e-mails. I just got this one.
Your cook team packages will be sent out Thursday. It will include your parking pass, schedule of events, map and other useful information.

Please note that registration fees must be received before the event. No fees will be collected on site and teams that have not paid will not be allowed to compete.

Ice is available on site and will be delivered twice daily.

The judges tent is centrally located within the cooks area, so no team will have more than 75 yards to travel for turn in. We have handicapped areas close to turn in for those who requested it.

The airport has made a decision to create 2 water stations instead of trying to run water hoses to all the competitors. If you have an RV or camper, please fill up your water tank for convenience.

There will be plenty of electricity but bring enough extension cord just in case you need it.

For teams arriving before check in on Friday, September 19, there are many places to camp or stay in Hot Springs National Park. Rates are very reasonable at all locations and there is a Walmart store at 1601 Albert Pike Road (501) 624-2498 which is less than a quarter mile from the airport for the RV travelers. Our host hotel is Best Western Stagecoach Inn at 2520 Central Avenue Hot Springs, AR 71901 phone # 501-624-2531. They have a large secured parking area ready to accommodate grills and trailers.

Look forward to seeing everybody and good luck to all! For directions or more information visit smokeonthewaterbbq.com or hotsprings.org

Ron Cates
President
Cates & Company Advertising
621 East 8th
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
(870) 536-8175
Fax (870) 536-8910

I can't believe that were not going to have water hook ups.:evil:

Got it this afternoon. Unfortunately I start my journey towards Texas on Friday. Kathy was kind enough however to send the packet to another address for me where I'll be able to get it!

Thanks Kathy!

This is going to be a great contest!

Congratulations Dallas on the new pit. Those things are beautifully made. I have only seen 2 of them and they are sweet.. Cant wait to see it myself so I know you are excited.
Good luck guys.
Dale

Thanks Dale, any chance on you coming up and cooking in Sharonville. Last I saw we needed 7 teams to make it a qualifier. Should be a good time!

Thanks Dale, any chance on you coming up and cooking in Sharonville. Last I saw we needed 7 teams to make it a qualifier. Should be a good time!

Not to hijack the thread but like Dallas says, you do need to get your butt up here and cook S'ville this weekend Dale. They need more teams to qualify so when I win it, I'll have a bung in the Jack draw next year. :razz:

Wifey and I will be there judging and plan to get around and find some of the brethren. I think I counted 8 brethren teams so far so wish everyone the best.

"Fred, we'll be coming down US71 to Van Buren-Ft.Smith. Would our best route from there be to continue on 71 South to 270 East on in to Hot Springs? (towing our 26ft trailer)."

I use I-40 to Little Rock, I-430 to I-30 to Hot Springs. Continuing on 71 is shorter, but 270 is hilly. I opt for the straight and realitive level of the Interstate whether I'm pulling the trailer or not. If you are coming through at night, don't even think about 270. Even in the daytime, God help you if you get behind a log truck.
Fred

Fred,

Thanks, I was going to ask you and I worried about my truck/trailer on those hills, figure a little extra time on the Interstate.

I've asked if we can get next to you, and since we're staying in HS for the week, Sat should be a fun time (as long as we don't have the storms like we did from Pine Bluff).

Then we're doing Bikers, Blues and BBQ the next week in Fayetteville.

Russ

Not to hijack the thread but like Dallas says, you do need to get your butt up here and cook S'ville this weekend Dale. They need more teams to qualify so when I win it, I'll have a bung in the Jack draw next year. :razz:

I cant make it. In fact Owensboro will most likely be my last until I get some comfort. I cant do it with a trailer anymore. I need showers, heat and air, and locks on the door to keep drunks out.
I have something in the works that will make my comp days more comfortable.
Good luck guys!

Okie,
Are you coming down the week before or staying the week after? I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, we can get in some lake time while you are here. I'm not doing Fayetteville. I'll be down a Susan's helping with Paul Kirk's class.

Okie,
Are you coming down the week before or staying the week after? I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, we can get in some lake time while you are here. I'm not doing Fayetteville. I'll be down a Susan's helping with Paul Kirk's class.
Staying the week after. Susan told us about Paul's class after I'd already sent in the entry for Fayetteville or we'd be going there.

So Sat night, we party!!! (since one of us will win, right) :icon_cool

Ok, this thread needs to remain on Page 1. This is one of the biggest comps of the year. Looks like close to 100 teams will compete. I just got into Dallas today. We'll be heading over to Jamie Geer's house tomorrow to season the new pit. We'll be heading to Hot Springs on Thursday. This will be my first time at this contest and I'm betting that I'm the only team from Ohio here. Is anyone doing a potluck type of dinner with other teams. I'd be interesting in participating if there is one!

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Friday!

Dallas
Double D's BBQ

Back