Contest Announcment Smoke N' Steam Oyster Bay NY 5/2/09

Any updates on head count? Also, is it legal to use another protein in the sauce for the oyster category?

Any updates on head count? Also, is it legal to use another protein in the sauce for the oyster category?

Oyster is Open Garnish correct? Protein in the sauce would be legal.

As of 3/28
Smoke In Da Eye (Clint Cantwell)
Chubby Hubby BBQ (Steve Morgan, new to S&S)
Bayside Buttheads (Darren Lora)
Ma's Que Crew (Brian Collins)
Transformer BBQ (Brendan)
Purple Turtle (Nancee Gell)
Baldwin Butt Burners (Kathy & Jim Burke)

Oyster is Open Garnish correct? Protein in the sauce would be legal.

As of 3/28
Smoke In Da Eye (Clint Cantwell)
Chubby Hubby BBQ (Steve Morgan, new to S&S)
Bayside Buttheads (Darren Lora)
Ma's Que Crew (Brian Collins)
Transformer BBQ (Brendan)
Purple Turtle (Nancee Gell)
Baldwin Butt Burners (Kathy & Jim Burke)

It says "Open standard garnish, herbs and veggies only". I emailed Ben and he thought meat, dairy and seafood would be accepted but those aren't "herbs and veggies only".

Did Sled find someone to compete with him? What about all those other teams from Grillin On The Bay? Would love to have a few more.

maybe I could stuff them with salmon<G> Seriously, after my two go arounds this spring I am not taking ANY chances with garnish at these grilling contests. Remember to look at NEBS rules also for this contest.

IIRC, last year meat and/or seafood in the stuffing or sauce was out. I seem to remember that we had a lot of variations on Oysters Rockefeller for that reason. I remember thinking I wanted to do Bienville, and not being able to. Unless I was just misinformed.

maybe I could stuff them with salmon<G> Seriously, after my two go arounds this spring I am not taking ANY chances with garnish at these grilling contests. Remember to look at NEBS rules also for this contest.

For my next contest, I'm doing salmon, stuffed with salmon, on a bed of salmon, with salmon sauce. To hell with trying anything different. :twisted:

As a judge last year, I enjoyed the oyster variations immensely.

Wonder where spam might fit in?

The rules are supposed to read "NEBS Open Garnish." Open and standard are two completely different things under NEBS grilling rules.

It says "Open standard garnish, herbs and veggies only". I emailed Ben and he thought meat, dairy and seafood would be accepted but those aren't "herbs and veggies only".

Did Sled find someone to compete with him? What about all those other teams from Grillin On The Bay? Would love to have a few more.
No can do now:cry:

The rules are supposed to read "NEBS Open Garnish." Open and standard are two completely different things under NEBS grilling rules.

Ah, glad I asked. And the "herbs and veggies only" language is just a ruse?

Then is sounds like anything goes for oysters.

Back