THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey all,
cooking some wings for a charity hot wing contest in a few weeks. I have a couple fryers to use. Anyone have any tips on how to prep and cook them?

Thanks!!
Paul

I really like to do the smoked wings. We have an annual family fish fry, and I always smoke a bunch of wings ahead of time. I bring them cooked and cold, and then just drop in the fryer for a few minutes to warm and crisp up. Then butter and seasoning! I prefer a dry rub generally, and they are a hit. Good smokey flavor, but your fryers can add that crunch that people want.

If you intend to fry a lot of them watch your batch size and oil temp levels especially with smaller fryers. If you overload the fry or don't give a smaller unit time to recover your cooks will be very inconsistent.

That said for Deep Fried wings I'm all for a spice rub and into the tank then a sprinkle of seasoning when dump'd out on the moisture rack then a sauce toss.

I'm cooking for a charity event in a month and will be smoking them. We smoked 200 lbs for this event last year and came in 2nd place in the judging. We use 4 UDS smokers and stack 3 grates toward the top of the smoker. Smoke them at around 275 until they're done. A team beside us pre-smoked their wings the day before the event and were just heating up wings on the day of the event. Their wings were good as well.

Back